Director of Channel Sales
Angaza is a venture-backed company that is solving global energy poverty by enabling financing of solar solutions for off-grid consumers. To do so, Angaza develops a mix of hardware and software for some of the most demanding and dynamic markets in the world. We are a for-profit company, based in California and Kenya, that aims market forces at the linked challenges of climate change and global development.
Ensure Angaza achieves its growth targets in the short and long term through crisp strategy definition, building a strong team, and laser-focused execution.
You will be our second sales hire, the only sales person at a management level, and the only sales person in our San Francisco office. As such, you must easily operate at many different levels (execution and strategy) and happily flip between many facets of sales, from channel sales to sales operations. In this entrepreneurial role, you will simultaneously lead the development of Angaza’s channel sales strategy and lead its execution. You will also be a critical link between our San Francisco-based management team and our on-the-ground team in Nairobi to help us hit our growth objectives. All of your activities in the near-term will focus on building our channel by bringing on new distribution partners and then ensuring their success. However, your role may expand to include sales to manufacturing partners as well. This role has the potential to grow in scope and evolve in many different directions, depending on your strengths and career goals. It’s a big job, so we hope you are hungry to do it!
- Ownership of sales targets (i.e. hitting and exceeding them!)
- Spearhead a long-term strategic plan to achieve aggressive sales targets
- Develop a global sales team hiring plan and define the ideal team structure; help build out a best-in-class sales organization and sales culture
- Ensure the sales team has tools and processes in place for maximum effectiveness
- Improve the definition of our target customer categories [distributors] and appropriate areas of focus for the sales team given our anticipated growth
- Refine our consultative sales strategy and process to bring on new distributors
- Create a distributor training strategy and ensure its execution, including the development of training materials
- Create a worldwide channel sales and account management strategy, including expansion into new markets, and execute against it to ensure the success of our distribution partners
- Collaborate with other teams to create and implement a sales strategy for the launch of each new product, market, and distributor
- Design and implement channel management programs such as a comprehensive reward program for account managers and agents or a tiered partner program
- Coach and motivate the account management team to ensure they hit their performance targets
- Provide input on the prioritization of software features based on a thorough understanding of our technology
Required Skills, Attributes, Experience
Skills & Attributes. You…
- Are motivated and tenacious
- Are an excellent negotiator and influencer
- Love building relationships
- Can inspire a team
- Have a proven track record of exceeding sales targets
- Know when to work independently and when to be collaborative
- Excel at both strategy and execution
- Are comfortable with frequent international travel to emerging markets. This role can be based either in San Francisco or Nairobi.
- Enjoy a collaborative, team-based sales approach but are also entrepreneurial and can work independently
- Exemplify the key tenants of the Angaza culture: forward-thinking, collaborative, curious, and open-minded
- 6+ years of sales experience, both in the trenches and in management
- Channel sales / B2B account management-specific experience
- Experience working with executives at your customers’ organizations
- Experience with selling technical products (software and/or hardware)
- Experience with designing and implementing CRM processes and other key sales tools
- Experience building a sales team
- Experience building out a channel a plus
- Experience in international markets a plus
Send your CV and detailed cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line “Director of Sales – YOURNAME”. Note that applicants must send a resume to be considered. Due to application volume, we will only be able to follow up with the most promising candidates.