Energy Analyst Intern
Beyond Efficiency is seeking an incoming 4th year undergraduate, master’s candidate or recent graduate for a 10 week paid internship based in our Berkeley, Cal. office. You have a passion for energy and efficiency in the built environment and a penchant for data analysis and data-driven design. You will be working closely with our technical staff as we roll out a new initiative to leverage our wealth of design-phase energy modeling data and connect it to real-world energy performance of our completed projects. The position will involve direct outreach to clients, data management and analysis, and independent research into monitoring systems.
This paid internship offers an $8500 stipend ($850/week). We are flexible with dates but anticipate a start date of June 10th and last day of August 16th, 2019.
Why Join Beyond Efficiency?
We empower people to create enduring human-centered buildings.
Beyond Efficiency is a highly respected consulting team of progressive engineers and architects with offices in Berkeley, California and Jackson Hole, Wyoming. We provide energy modeling, engineering and green building services for commercial, educational, multifamily and single-family residential projects throughout the western U.S. Our broad client base includes small architecture firms, world-renowned universities, market-rate and affordable housing developers.
We consider our key role as "client advocate" to help ensure a client's project objectives are achieved. We do this by asking insightful questions at project initiation to establish clear, actionable goals and performance requirements, and then filling knowledge and skills gaps that often exist in project teams. Our educational philosophy, holistic understanding of buildings, and technical expertise give teams confidence to make better decisions and create buildings that improve people’s lives.
Beyond Efficiency offers a relaxed and flexible work environment on the edge of Berkeley's 4th Street shopping district or the heart of beautiful downtown Jackson Hole. Our associates are experts in our fields and offer close mentorship with unlimited opportunities to carve your future and make a difference. Learn more about us, our values and our approach to our work at www.BeyondEfficiency.us
1. Work under the guidance and supervision of our team to design and implement an outreach campaign to collect utility and smart meter data from previous clients and building managers.
2. Work under the guidance of our team to build and maintain a database for project performance energy modeling data and relevant project attributes.
3. Perform data analysis, review and critique results, and summarize trends.
4. Collaborate with other staff to identify projects and project types that would be promising candidates for additional research or in-depth case studies.
5. Perform independent research on energy monitoring solutions for the post-occupancy period, and deliver a formal presentation on results.
6. Attend informal weekly professional development presentations and workshops.
7. Learn best-practice fundamentals and implementation strategies for high-performance building enclosures, mechanical and plumbing systems, zero energy features, etc.
8. Prepare logically organized, technically accurate, and clearly presented emails and memos.
1. Demonstrated passion or previous experience in energy, architecture, construction, the built environment, and data analysis.
2. Excellent written and verbal communication skills (clear, concise, logically presented).
3. High initiative, always looking to improve things and run with new ideas.
4. Technical aptitude with ability to quickly learn and integrate new concepts and tools.
5. Critical thinker with innate ability to challenge assumptions, ask the right questions, and solve problems.
6. A self-starter with a can-do attitude, and the self-awareness to know when to ask for help.
7. Strong organizational and project management skills.
8. High integrity, doing the right thing even when it's hard.
1. Experience or coursework in physics, engineering, econometrics, statistics, energy or environmental policy, sustainability or design.
2. Experience with database management & SQL.
3. Experience or comfort with one or more programming languages.
How to Apply
Beyond Efficiency is committed to the principle of diversity in our workspace. We believe that diverse perspectives add value to our processes and make us better able to empathize with and serve our clients, leading the way towards a more sustainable and equitable future. In that spirit, we strongly encourage applications from qualified people of all cultural and economic backgrounds, faiths, gender identities and sexual orientations.
To apply for this opportunity, please apply directly through the jobs page on our website at http://beyondefficiency.us/jobs. Direct your cover letter to Jack Kerby-Miller.
Beyond Efficiency will review applications and invite selected candidates for interviews on a rolling basis. We will notify applicants of their status by May 1st.