ENERGY MANAGEMENT ASSOCIATE AND/OR ENERGY PROJECT MANAGER
About the opportunity:
POAH is seeking a Boston-based Energy Management Associate and/or Energy Project Manager (up to two staff openings) to work in its Ownership & Operations department, collaborating with design and building performance, asset management, property management, development, and maintenance staff. The Ownership & Operations department is responsible for monitoring POAH’s long-term owner interests and focuses on maintaining a healthy portfolio of housing communities by executing on financial, physical and policy opportunities for stewarding the portfolio. The new hire(s) will work on POAH’s Design and Building Performance team led by the vice president of Design and Building Performance, focusing on energy projects, design and construction standards, preventative maintenance stewardship, leveraging information technology to improve portfolio oversight, and other related projects.
Some of the Associate’s (and/or Manager’s) specific and essential tasks may include:
- Review portfolio properties' energy usage and cost to identify opportunities, recommend interventions, secure energy project funding, and complete new energy projects across the portfolio;
- Analyze utility usage following renovations and equipment upgrades that are expected to save energy and/or water, and compare to projections and/or historical usage at properties. Share observations and lessons learned with property management, asset management and development teams;
- Track and manage data regarding POAH's carbon footprint, utility usage, fuel sources, energy consumption, contracts and expenses;
- Monitor performance against Big Reach and Better Buildings Challenge goals;
- Support the implementation of portfolio-wide energy efficiency upgrades, conservation strategies and installation of renewable energy source options;
- Evaluate the benefits of master metering, sub-metering or other consumption tracking and/or billing options;
- Research and pursue incentives available from utilities, regulatory agencies or other organizations;
- Serve as the project manager for identification, implementation and closeout of capital projects sourced by energy loans, grants and/or POAH discretionary funds;
- Consult with real estate development staff during the due diligence and pre-development stages of property acquisitions to provide utility cost analytics;
- Work with property management staff on operations and maintenance initiatives to target utility savings;
- Support Community Impact team and other staff on resident energy and building education initiatives;
- Oversee compliance with municipal data utility reporting requirements, where applicable;
- Represent POAH nationally as an advocate for green stewardship of multifamily affordable housing;
- Perform other duties as directed by the vice president of Design and Building Performance.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
Candidates for the Associate position should possess 1 to 4 years of relevant experience and Manager 5+ years of experience, and knowledge in some or all of the following areas:
- A. or B.S. required - with emphasis on energy management, environmental studies, building science, or related field. Graduate degree or equivalent work experience in engineering, environmental science or related field helpful.
- Experience working with energy data to identify consumption trends, anomalies and opportunities to improve a building’s performance
- Experience competing for energy funds and coordinating / project-managing energy project installations.
- Familiarity with energy and climate change issues with capacity in one or more of the following areas: energy conservation, energy efficiency, energy consuming equipment, load management, renewable power generation and energy policy.
- Demonstrated proficiency with computers (including intermediate or better Excel and PowerPoint skills), energy systems/software analytics.
- Manage a project or tasks independently with scrupulous attention to detail.
- Prepare written summaries and briefings of assigned tasks for internal and external dissemination;
- Communicate effectively in person and in writing and create convincing presentations using PowerPoint, excel charts, excel pivot tables, and other tools;
- Travel: Willingness to travel as necessary to work with property staff, vendors and government agencies at their respective places of business throughout the United States is expected.
Salaries are competitive and commensurate with experience.
Interested individuals should send a resume with a thoughtful cover letter to email@example.com. We expect to hire for these positions in the very near future so applicants should submit their applications right away.
POAH is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.