Energy Storage Engineer - Transmission & Interconnection
Basic Job Functions:
The Engineer (Transmission & Interconnection) provides business development modeling support for the interconnection of utility-scale storage projects within designated regions of North America. The Engineer (Transmission & Interconnection) works as an integral member of the Transmission & Interconnection team, identifying optimal strategies for interconnecting storage projects to the electric grid based on curtailment potential, interconnection costs, system impact assessments, real-time energy pricing, and market delivery options. In addition, the Engineer (Transmission & Interconnection) is responsible for the preparation and submittal of transmission interconnection requests.
Reports To: Principal – Transmission & Interconnection
- Minimum of 2-5 years of experience with PSS/E, MUST, TARA, Power World, or similar power flow software.
- Minimum of 2-5 years of experience in electric transmission planning, operations or related discipline.
- Production costs and market simulation software (AURORAxmp, PROMOD, UPlan, Gridview, etc.) experience desiarable.
- Utilty, RTO and/or ISO experience desiarable.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited college or university required. Emphasis in power systems strongly preferred.
- Masters in Electrical Engineering preferred.
- Professional Engineer (PE) License preferred.
Required Technical/Functional Skills
- Transmission planning experience with very strong power flow modeling skills.
- Understanding of electricity market policy and rules with respect to interconnection and transmission planning.
- Excel, VBA, SQL experience or other modeling/programming skills.
- Strong computing skills including MS Office Suite.
- Effective communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Ability to prepare both written and oral presentation materials of complex matters in a simplified manner.
- Knowledge of electric theory with strong understanding of utility and ISO operations and transmission planning process.
- Multitasking, dynamic, self-motivated individual able to work in groups or independently.
- Ability to simultaneously support multiple development projects across multiple states and regions.
- Familiarity with storage and renewable trends in the electric market.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Perform transmission/interconnection and/or electric market simulation studies.
- Support development and execution of engineering activities for the electrical transmission interconnection of utility scale storage projects.
- Support interconnection process tasks and communications with the utilities, ISOs and RTOs.
- Support and provide input for due-diligence evaluations and review efforts related to potential commercial transactions.
- Perform transmission assessments to determine commercial viability of potential projects and/or acquisitions and estimate costs of required transmission system upgrades.