Finance Associate - MAP Energy
MAP is a twenty-nine year old energy investment firm located near Stanford University in Palo Alto, with another principal office in Oklahoma City, OK. MAP currently has over $2 billion in long-term capital under management through several funds whose investors include leading US endowments, foundations, and families. Fund assets include premium United States renewable energy and natural gas assets.
MAP’s Renewable Energy Business Unit (“MAP RE”) invests private capital in renewable energy businesses and assets in the United States. The Business Unit was formed in 2004 and focuses on early stage investments in wind, solar, and energy storage development. MAP RE is currently investing from a dedicated renewable energy fund and also manages a substantial portfolio of existing investments and operating assets.
MAP seeks to hire a Finance Associate for the Renewable Energy Business Unit. This position will report directly to the VP of Commercial. Please send resumes or questions to email@example.com.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Two to five years of experience in renewable energy finance, project finance, tax equity, energy banking, the renewable energy industry, energy market analysis, partnership tax, or renewable energy accounting;
- Demonstrated financial modeling capabilities; experience modeling of power generation assets a plus;
- Familiarity with tax equity modeling and/or partnership tax accounting a plus;
- General understanding of how power markets work and of renewable energy project valuation;
- Understanding of utility economics and regulatory processes a plus;
- Understanding of commodity markets and commodity derivatives a plus;
- MBA or advanced degree valued but not required; relevant experience also valued.
Essential Job Functions:
- Perform investment analysis, modeling, and diligence for renewable energy investments including wind, solar, and storage assets in the United States;
- Develop and maintain financial modeling of investments including renewable energy projects, portfolios as well as portfolio optimization models;
- Analyze power market dynamics, commodity prices, and utility regulatory proceedings to identify potential investment opportunities and portfolio impacts;
- Optimize renewable energy project economics to improve cost competitiveness in competitive RFP processes;
- Perform investment due diligence of companies, management teams, projects, and energy markets;
- Assist with project finance structuring new renewable energy investments in cooperation with sponsor equity, project finance lenders, and tax equity investors;
- Analyze portfolio of operating renewable energy assets and energy contracts such as PPAs and financial hedges to model revenues and validate investment returns.
The ideal candidate possesses the following valued characteristics:
- Passionate about meeting high standards, quality, accuracy and detail;
- Analytical mind that enjoys working with fast-paced, complex energy markets;
- Self-starter who can effectively work independently, as a team player, prioritize workload, and multi-task;
- Takes ownership of work and is self-accountable;
- Committed to setting goals and achieving results;
- Ability to provide results that exemplify excellence, professionalism and timeliness;
- Inquiring mind; lifelong learner; embraces challenge; enjoys research;
- Demonstrates professional grace and positive attitude;
- Good sense of humor, an even temperament, and a flexible nature;
- Positively embraces change in the workplace environment;
- Values a small work environment that is collegial, dynamic and professional;
- Comfortable working with colleagues who exemplify and expect excellence;
- Enjoys working in fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment;
- Detail-oriented and can spot issues, errors, or opportunities when analyzing raw financial data;
- Ability to prioritize and execute in fast paced, dynamic environment;
- Creative thinker who can contribute ideas to enhance value of renewable energy assets;
- Good communication skills; comfortable interacting with or presenting to clients and counterparties.
MAP offers a competitive compensation and benefits package.
MAP is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protect by law.