Industry Development Specialist - Energy & Natural Resources (2566)
Latham & Watkins, a global law firm consistently ranked among the top firms in the world, is currently seeking an Industry Development Specialist – Energy & Natural Resources to join our winning team, located in Houston. The success of our firm is largely determined by our commitment to hire and develop the very best and brightest, creating a team that provides our clients with the highest quality of work and service. We are driven by our core values: respect, innovation and collaboration.
The Industry Development Specialist – Energy & Natural Resources will receive a generous total compensation package. Bonuses are awarded in recognition of individual and firm performance. Eligible employees can participate in Latham’s comprehensive benefit program including healthcare, life and disability insurance, flexible spending accounts, a 401k plan, and more! In addition, employees receive 10 paid holidays per year, and a PTO program that accrues 23 days during the first year of employment and grows with tenure.
As an Industry Development Specialist – Energy & Natural Resources at Latham, you will work with the Energy Industry Development Manager, Oil & Gas Industry Group Chairs, and the Director of Administration for Houston to develop and execute strategies on behalf of the oil and gas industry and the Houston office. The Energy & Natural Resources Group is a global industry group comprised of attorneys from various practices within the firm’s corporate, litigation and finance departments. The Specialist will provide qualitative and quantitative analysis in support of the Oil & Gas Industry Group to understand current market landscape, market trends, Latham’s position in the market, and potential opportunities as the key drivers of the strategic plans. The position is global in scope, though particular focus will be given to the Houston market. Your responsibilities as an Industry Development Specialist – Energy & Natural Resources will require you collaborate with attorneys, Business Development colleagues, and various departments across the firm to accomplish these and other critical functions:
- Collaborating with and supporting the Energy Industry Development Manager, the Oil & Gas Industry Group Chairs and the Houston attorneys to understand market position, develop strategic plans and drive marketing efforts to maintain and grow practice and industry position.
- Collaborating with the Global Library to prepare routine analysis and reporting of practice and industry competition, market trends, internal financial information, business opportunities and pitch activity in efforts to develop and implement internal and external strategies both globally and by region.
- Identifying opportunities for thought leadership and other marketing and campaign ideas to increase both internal and external brand awareness for the industry sector.
- Partnering with the global PR team to ensure coverage of successful matters, initiatives and products in key markets and ensuring that significant matters are publicized internally and externally in accordance with the firm's public relations policy.
- Staying abreast of developments and trends in the industry and remaining informed of all major new clients and significant matters.
- Developing in-depth knowledge of the oil and gas industry and acting as a firm resource regarding: lawyer expertise, product expertise, firm experience, industry/trade group organizations, legal, Industry and business trends, industry-specific marketing collateral, and industry-specific media.
- Supporting the Energy Industry Development Manager in forecasting and tracking activities against the industry and practice group budgets as well as ROI analysis against applicable spend.
- Collaborating with Financial Information Center on client coding and financial data reporting.
- Collaborating with the Global Proposal team, Practice Development Managers, Industry Group Leads and Regional BD teams to draft and maintain practice and industry specific content and rankings for proposal management system.
- Serving as a point of contact for must-win pitches, RFPs and panel reviews within the relevant industry.
- Developing the market and industry specific directory and award submissions and assists with relevant global submissions.
- Providing status on matters and cases to appropriate Practice Development Managers in efforts to assist with experience collection.
- Maintaining Industry-specific e-mail marketing lists using the firm's customer relations management software system in conjunction with the firm's InterAction team.
- Collaborating with firm resources to produce trend reports for the Industry Group Chairs and Houston Partners and developing standard tools for reporting and analyzing data.
- Working to ensure quality professional product, as well as delivery of all work within established timeframes.
- Maintaining professional image within the Industry team and projecting the same image to those outside of the team.
- Supporting Industry, Practice and local team members in completing tasks as required.
- Completing special projects as assigned.
- Promoting effective work practices, working as a team member, and showing respect for co-workers.
In support of the Energy Industry Development Manager:
- Assisting with local and regional oil and gas initiatives including sponsorships, events, and proactive client targeting initiatives as well as partnering with local and regional BD team members as necessary.
- Identifying local and regional opportunities for thought leadership, branding opportunities and other strategic Business Development initiatives aligned with the overall industry strategy.
- Acting as an industry resource and subject matters expert for pitches and proposals in support of partners and the New Business Team.
- Communicating regularly with the Energy Industry Development Manager to discuss industry trends, localized activity, and other key factors in order to provide ongoing reporting and analysis to the industry chairs as well as to collaborate on global industry initiatives.
- Aiding in the creation and maintenance of marketing and Business Development materials.
- Assisting in development of processes and procedures for the appropriate tracking of energy related experience and activity.
As an Industry Development Specialist – Energy & Natural Resources, you will be expected to apply your organizational and communication skills while displaying a positive, high-energy attitude. The successful Industry Development Specialist – Energy & Natural Resources candidate must have well developed and professional interpersonal skills; ability to interact effectively with people at all organizational levels of the firm; ability to work independently to research, analyze, develop financial information to identify trends and opportunities.
A successful candidate should possess general knowledge of the oil and gas industry landscape, including various players within the industry, industry trends over time, and best practices for successful business within the industry. Additionally the successful Specialist should exhibit the ability to maintain flexibility with respect to assigned tasks due to changing deadlines, changing deliverables and changing task priorities; ability to learn and apply new skills quickly and effectively; strong communication skills, both written and verbal, including effective interpersonal communications (e.g., active listening); general knowledge of corporate finance and accounting principles and terminology; ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with the appropriate discretion; possess an advanced ability to perceive and analyze problems and develop alternative strategies to solve them; knowledge and proficiency in PC applications, including Microsoft Access, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
A minimum of four (4) years related subject matter experience and related analytical experience in a legal or professional services environment and experience responding to ad-hoc requests, developing analysis, and producing reports desired. Prior experience working within the oil and gas industry as well as a general interest in the oil and gas industry is preferred. A Bachelor's degree in Finance, Business Administration, Economics, Marketing or related field required.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply by visiting the Latham & Watkins online application using the link provided.
Latham & Watkins is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity, equal opportunity and sustainability enables Latham & Watkins to draw from a remarkable wealth of talent to create one of the world's leading law firms.