Permian Basin Consultant
The Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis is seeking to retain a consultant to conduct research on the oil and gas industry in the Permian Basin.
Background on the Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis (IEEFA)
The Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis (IEEFA) conducts research and analyses on financial and economic issues related to energy and the environment. The Institute’s mission is to accelerate the transition to a diverse, sustainable and profitable energy economy.
The IEEFA team is a committed group of professionals with expertise in finance, energy and communications. The organization is headquartered in Cleveland, Ohio, and key personnel are located in several U.S. cities, as well as Hong Kong, Jakarta, Manila, London and Sydney. We prefer that the Permian Basin analyst be located in Texas.
IEEFA produces a significant volume of original research products, as well as ongoing analysis and reports on issues affecting energy industries. Our major research reports, daily commentaries, press coverage and other resources can be found on our website, www.ieefa.org.
The organization’s research products are used by a variety of organizations and individuals involved in the energy industry, including environmental advocates, business and labor leaders, financial analysts, academic researchers, legislators, attorneys and government administrators. IEEFA’s work is widely cited in both the mainstream media and in trade publications.
Work Products of the Permian Basin Consultant
The ideal candidate for this consultant project is thoroughly knowledgeable about oil and gas markets in the United States (and preferably in some global markets); the role of the Permian Basin in those markets; and the strengths and challenges of current market forces in the Permian Basin.
The consultant must be a self-starter capable of undertaking intensive research and successfully communicating complex ideas in a clear, direct manner to a wide range of people and organizations.
- Producing written analysis and commentary for publication and internal use on selected critical energy and finance topics in the Permian Basin. Analysis will focus on specific holdings of companies, company finances, customer bases, capital structures, ownership patterns and their position within the industry.
- Establishing a monitoring program to alert IEEFA personnel and our networks regarding emerging issues and developing themes for analysis.
- Providing timely, relevant information for media.
- Developing a network of energy and finance professionals in the Permian Basin to improve information flow.
- Identifying and establishing a relationship between IEEFA and community and climate activists involved in the Permian Basin.
- Participating in and preparing presentations for IEEFA’s annual energy finance conference, and other organizational projects.
We are seeking a consultant who has:
- At least ten years professional experience in relevant fields, including finance, energy, or engineering, with commensurate recognition and career path development. A bachelor’s degree is required, with an advanced degree in a relevant field preferred.
- Excellent writing and verbal communications skills.
- Strong understanding of financial and/or energy issues, especially related to the oil and gas industry, and the knowledge of how to convey these issues both to specialized and broader audiences.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and the demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- The dedication, drive and discipline to meet organizational and team demands while working and communicating at a distance.
- A command of relevant information technology.
- A sharp political sense and commitment to IEEFA’s mission.
Minorities and women are especially encouraged to apply.
This is a consulting position for one year, which may be extended if resources are available. Fees will be commensurate with experience. Some travel, within the Permian Basin region, as well as periodically to IEEFA events in New York City, will be required.
Interested persons should provide a resume, cover letter, a writing sample and compensation requirements to:
Sandy Buchanan, Executive Director
Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis
All submissions should be by email with the phrase “Permian Basin Analyst” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
The submission deadline is April 30, 2020.