Senior Development Manager
8minute Solar Energy is the largest privately-held developer of solar and storage projects in the United States. We have one of the best development teams in the industry with a track record of delivering above-market profitability and strong financial returns on utility-scale solar and storage projects. We are seeking the best and brightest people to help make clean energy abundant.
About the Position:
The Senior Development Manager will be responsible for the development of solar photovoltaic projects through project management, economic analysis, contract negotiation, and transaction support across a pipeline of projects targeting wholesale power markets in the US. The successful candidate will have 7-10 years of experience in the energy industry, specifically in energy infrastructure development in CAISO and WECC; strong financial analysis skills; an ability to effectively communicate complex ideas; and the ability and enthusiasm to drive projects forward.
Essential Function and Responsibilities:
- Greenfield development of utility-scale solar power generation facilities within CAISO and WECC markets.
- Ability to communicate and sync cross functionally on a regular basis to minimize project risks.
- Work with finance department during financial feasibility analysis, evaluation and finance.
- Negotiate tax abatements, land use agreements, mitigation settlements, and various other agreements.
- Manage project budgets, objectives, schedules and deliverables for assigned development projects.
- Travel to site locations to meet with landowners and evaluate sites
- Engage community, local and state institutions for project support.
- Managing contractors, vendors, and consultants to maintain project timeline and budget.
- Assist with permitting and environmental compliance throughout the construction and operation of projects.
- Extensive knowledge of the full-cycle of utility-scale renewable power generation development and marketing.
- Extensive knowledge of interconnection, permitting, real estate, state/federal regulation, utility procurement goals, politics, law and other issues that impact development of renewable energy projects in the eastern energy markets.
- Detailed understanding of the interconnection process (study process, contracting, utility requirements, financial obligations, and scope execution by utilities) to both site projects optimally and to advance them through COD.
- Solid understanding of economic drivers within our business.
- Concisely frame issues by providing context, analysis, recommendations and risk/benefit tradeoffs, both in written and verbal format, to project teams and to senior management.
- Create control and influence over the costs, terms, and schedules of key project milestones that are heavily dependent on external counterparties, often without strong commercial recourse.
- Strong understanding of the relationships within a project schedule in order to prioritize teams’ resource allocation
- Highly resourceful and able to design process for the advancement of project milestones and navigate through key risks where little structure is established.
- Highly proficient in MS Excel (advanced proficiency required), Project, Word, and PowerPoint, as well as Google Earth
- Independent self-starter who can meet deadlines and deliver quality products with minimal oversight.
- Substantial ability to recognize opportunities, identify and evaluate risks in a development context as well as effectively communicate the foregoing.
- Demonstrated ability to translate contracts and financing agreements into concise financial and economic analysis.
- Ability to manage a large workload, often providing support to processes managed by colleagues, while prioritizing tasks and effectively juggling competing deadlines.
- Detail-oriented with a strong sense of personal responsibility and ownership of work product.
- Excellent personal organizational and pattern recognition skills
8minute Solar Energy offers competitive compensation and an excellent benefits package, including 401(k) and fully paid medical and dental benefits and unlimited PTO. We are an equal opportunity employer.