Southern Africa Transaction Advisor
CrossBoundary is a mission-driven investment firm committed to unlocking the power of capital to make a substantial return while creating a lasting difference in frontier markets.
We take a transaction-centered approach to frontier markets. CrossBoundary provides investment advisory services, having developed a specialized expertise in unleashing investment across all sectors in fragile and frontier markets. Our advisory clients include governments, development finance institutions, private equity firms, Fortune 100 companies, and research institutions. Learn more at www.crossboundary.com.
CrossBoundary is recruiting a full-time transaction advisor to support a diverse set of power generation projects in the Southern Africa region overcome financing barriers and reach financial close. This is an Associate or Senior Associate-level role with the firm.
- 5+ years of experience at one of the following –
- the project finance team of top-tier investment or commercial bank or specialist advisor,
- an asset manager investing in energy or infrastructure
- a renewable energy developer with sizable project portfolio
- Experience with development finance institutions, such as IFC, FMO, AfDB, OPIC, etc, is critical
- Familiarity with the various tender procurement processes in Southern Africa, including Scaling Solar and GET-FIT is beneficial
- Experience working in developing countries; experience in Southern Africa is particularly relevant
- Bachelor's degree required; MBA or other advanced degrees will be regarded favorably
- Advising power project developers on a project’s optimal capital structure
- Securing funding, both from private sector investors and development finance institutions, on a developer’s behalf
- Building and reviewing bankable project finance models
- Advising on project financing strategies specific to various generation technologies, including solar and hydro
- Identifying financing barriers and thinking creatively to find solutions around them
- Advising on project risk allocation and legal agreements including PPAs
- Excellent analytical ability and discipline; ability to think clearly, structure problems logically and then design and implement solutions that focus on the core issues
- Ability to build strong relationships with partners and colleagues in challenging environments
- Excellent presentation skills; ability to communicate clearly and effectively with diverse audiences
- Self-starter who is passionate about creating lasting change in frontier markets
- Comfort with ambiguity; ability to operate effectively in a changing context
- Willingness to work and live in sometimes challenging environments
CrossBoundary is not a development firm and is not seeking typical development skills.
About the Team
CrossBoundary operates in frontier markets that hold immense investment opportunities. The CrossBoundary team is a unique group made up of people who are genuinely excited by the opportunity to make a difference in some of the most challenging yet exciting markets in the world. Team members come from diverse backgrounds, but share a number of qualities: curiosity, humility, integrity, a drive for excellence, and a bias for action.
CrossBoundary offers a highly competitive salary (including benefits).