An experienced and results-driven senior Energy Professional with substantial success in directing the delivery of multimillion-dollar Independent Power Producers (IPP) developments projects and other large scale strategic and complex projects. Experience includes project management of the Gas Independent Power Producers Procurement Program, the largest project financing project in the history of South Africa and other renewable energy and Coal IPP Programs. Most recently served as project advisor to two German developers on new renewable, gas and hydrogen infrastructure developments in South Africa conducting, inter alia, market analysis and market intelligence studies. Combines inspiring leadership, influencing skills and advanced stakeholder engagement capabilities. Cultivates trusted relationships with diverse stakeholders, leads cross-functional teams to success, and thrives on responsibility and challenge.
● Development of Financial Models to determine a tariff cap for electricity from LNG. This included extensive analyses of international LNG procurement strategies, hedging strategies (foreign exchange and commodity risk) and capital and operational expense analyses.
● Compilation, review and finalisation of Procurement Documentation with Transaction Advisors (Vendor Resources) and IPPO Executives (Request for Information (RFI), Request for Qualification (RFQ), and Request for Proposal (RFP)). This required a consultative analysis process with Government Stakeholders and the market to incorporate current business models in LNG procurement, pricing and trading, Gas Regulation and other commercial aspects into the Gas Program.
● Served as a Project Manager for the Information Memorandum of the Gas Program (obtainable: https://gaslng.ipp-gas.co.za/).
● Applied for, obtained approval, and managed a budget of US$22M for the Gas Program.
● Facilitated decision making processes by analyzing Gas Request for Information (RFI) responses from the market and compilation of feedback reports and presentations.
● Continuous and extensive interaction with IPPO Executives to report on Gas Program progress and also for decision making purposes.
● Engaged and maintained strong relationships with Government and external stakeholders as required, including The Energy Regulator (NERSA), Treasury, The Power Utility and National System Operator (ESKOM), The Ports Authority (TNPA), and Industrial Development Zones (IDZs; Ngqura, Richards Bay, Saldanha).
● Ensured Gas Program alignment with Government policies in partnership with Integrated Resource Plan (IRP) and Integrated Energy Plan (IEP) teams.
● Shortlisted, interviewed, recruited and managed technical, financial, economic development, legal, commercial and other Transaction Advisors (Vendor Resources) to provide input and develop procurement documentation. The resources of the Transaction Advisors were on senior level.
Other ad-hoc duties at the IPPO included, inter alia:
● Part of the team that analysed and assimilated complex and sensitive input data for the Integrated Resource Plan (IRP) 2018 modelling. The IRP 2018 guides South Africa’s long-term energy strategy and investment priorities up to 2030.
● Assisted in renegotiation of Economic Development requirements with IPPs of Bid Window 4 prior to Financial Close.
Project Management specific duties included, inter alia:
● Assisted the Project Management Office (PMO) with developing new methodologies and procedures. Used these methodologies and procedures to effectively manage and control the Gas Program with proper Quality Assurance (QA).
● Project Managed the Gas Program and enforced change management procedures on any deviations to project scope, project timelines and cost changes.
● Developed a project implementation plan and followed the plan according to Project Management methodologies and best practices.
● Developed Terms of References (ToR) / State of Work for the shortlisting and appointment of Transaction Advisors (Vendor Resources).
Financial Modelling and Business Case Development, Excellent Communication Skills, Infrastructure Investment (new IPPs)/Project Financing, Financial Management / Budget Management, Energy and Market Analyses, Resource and Vendor Management, Capital Project Development, Stakeholder Management (Extensive), Governmental Energy Policy Implementation , Advanced Decisions Making, Techno-Economic Studies and Modelling/Analyses, Excellent Leadership and Influencing, Strategy Formulation, Project Management, Procurement Documentation Development (RFIs, RFQs, RFPs), Renewable Energy/Gas to Power/Power to Gas