Business Development Manager
Tackling the climate crisis is a once-in-a-generation, trillion-dollar economic opportunity, and the world needs a healthy global innovation engine to identify and massively scale new climate technology solutions that will speed up the clean energy transition.
Founded by RMI and New Energy Nexus for this purpose, Third Derivative is a global climate technology startup accelerator aimed at accelerating the rate of climate innovation. Our mission is to build an inclusive ecosystem that rapidly finds, funds, and scales climate tech innovation globally.
We’ve built a vertically-integrated startup accelerator model to back this, which unites investors, corporates, market and policy experts, and startups to work together to increase the success and speed to market for climate innovation.
Since our launch in December 2020, our ecosystem includes $3.3T market cap of corporate partners, $5B AUM of investor partners (across five continents), and 62 startups reflecting climate innovations solving for all major emissions sectors.
Now, our high-performance team of climate enthusiasts is growing, and we’re seeking a creative, collaborative, and self-motivated Product Manager, Technology & Tools to join us in our mission.
Third Derivative (D3) is seeking a Business Development Manager to own, nurture, and close all sales processes to secure our operating income targets. Currently, D3’s operating budget is funded by membership fees from corporate partners as well as by donations from philanthropic donors. As a self-starting Business Development Manager, it will be your key focus to hit ambitious income targets.
We are looking for a creative, structured, and ambitious thinker who finds ways to unblock challenging problems and move towards collaborative deal closings.
- Drive all incoming operational income leads to successful closure.
- Develop sales pipeline tracking tools and provide D3 management with regular reporting on the progress of the sales pipeline.
- Prepare and deliver pitch decks tailored to the needs and related value propositions of D3’s targeted partners and funders.
- Partner closely with accounting and operations functions to ensure proper documentation and contracting of all closed deals.
- Partner closely with the marketing team to take all qualified leads in sales-to-marketing handoffs.
- Minimum 5 years experience successfully closing a total annual sales book of $5million+
- Proven track record of prospecting, pitching, and closing open innovation partnership agreements or sales with large corporations
- Experience budgeting, pitching, and closing multimillion dollar programs to philanthropic donors
- Proven acumen mapping complex stakeholder organizations, networking to appropriate decision makers, and targeting each with differentiated value propositions
- Experience developing and managing sales plans and pipelines
- Climate warrior with a demonstrated track record of building or championing climate tech innovation, ideally with climate change fundraising experience
- Large network of connections to philanthropic donors or relevant corporations
- Experience working inside of a startup or small team
- Proficient in Salesforce and Hubspot CRM
- Demonstrable knowledge of startup accelerator and open innovation programs
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement Options (5% match immediately)
- Generous PTO and parental leave
- Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long-Term Disability
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
The salary range for this position is $103,000-$121,000, and this role has an additional 10% bonus target. Salary is dependent on experience that will be discussed and vetted throughout the interview process.
February 14, 2022
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas, and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization, ensuring that we:
- Have a different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
RMI transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. That is our mission. That is our passion. And every day, every member of our team of 250+ works tirelessly to achieve it. We are driving the global energy transition from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables by working in partnership with businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to advance market-based solutions. We achieve this by developing breakthrough ideas, testing and refining them, reshaping markets, and bringing solutions to scale. RMI is a fast-growing, independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with a 2020-2021 annual budget of $70 million and offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, CA; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.
New Energy Nexus
New Energy Nexus is an international non-profit that supports clean energy entrepreneurs with funds, accelerators, and networks. Nexus operates programs in New York, China, India, Southeast Asia, and East Africa. New Energy Nexus strives towards an abundant world with a 100% clean energy economy for 100% of the population in the shortest time possible. https://www.newenergynexus.com/