Director, Business Development, Distributed Energy Resource ("DER")
About Tantalus Systems (TSX: GRID)
Tantalus is a smart grid technology company that transforms aging one-way grids into future-proofed multi-directional grids that improve the efficiency, reliability and sustainability of forward-thinking utilities and the communities they serve. Our solutions are purpose-built to allow utilities to restore power quickly after major disruptions, adapt to rapidly shifting consumer expectations and population shifts, innovate new solutions based on the adoption of distributed energy resources and evolve their grid infrastructure at their own pace without needless cost or complexity. Through our 2022 acquisition of Congruitive, we develop advanced technology solutions that give utilities and renewable energy producers the power to manage and control energy at every point on the grid. Our open enterprise solutions serve as a gateway to acquire, transport and present complex energy data across the grid, from substations to control centers and power generation sites. Using real-time intelligence, our scalable, modular, secure systems automate key processes and provide operators with the information they need to keep energy flowing effectively, efficiently, and safely. Learn more at www.tantalus.com.
We are headquartered in Burnaby, BC, Canada with commercial headquarters in Raleigh NC. This role offers a competitive salary plus variable compensation tied to business unit scale objectives. Tantalus offers full health, dental and vision plans, flexible hours, and vacation.
Come join us if you are interested in being part of an entrepreneurial team, solving complex technical problems and delivering innovative solutions that will directly impact the electrification of everything and the decarbonization of our society.
We are looking for 1.0 FTE to be located anywhere in the USA. This position may be remote-based. However, if the successful candidate is located near Raleigh, NC, USA or Norwalk, CT, USA, this position will be hybrid-based, as Tantalus has offices in both of these locations.
Reporting to the Chief Revenue Officer, the Director, Business Development will be responsible for developing and executing the Go-To-Market strategy for the company’s Renewable and EPC (Engineering, Procurement and Construction) business. This is a hands-on Director level position with an equal emphasis on strategic and tactical.
Specifically, the Director, Business Development will:
- Be responsible for developing and executing on the company’s strategy for its renewable and EPC business to ensure growth and market metrics are achieved
- Establish and grow existing and new collaborative partnerships with various stakeholders including solutions providers, channel partners, third party developers, OEMs, utilities, EPCs, DER solution providers, and senior technical and executive management of leading companies within the global utility-scale solar, micro-grid, EV infrastructure, DER and battery storage markets
- Work alongside various internal corporate resources within management, legal, marketing, sales, product marketing, and product development to map out the market ecosystem and addressable market
- Create new business opportunities in market segments that align with the company’s growth strategy and product suite
- Anticipate market innovations by identifying and collaborating with lead customers; creating competitive advantage through joint solution selling opportunities
- Evaluate effectiveness of new and existing channel-to-market structures; define areas and processes to target for improvement in conjunction with product and sales teams
- Implement effective channel strategies to obtain significant YoY growth
- Monitor customer, market and competitor activity and provide feedback to company leadership team and other company functions
- Travel as necessary to effectively execute against defined objectives or as required by Tantalus management
What you Bring:
Education and Experience
- Technical Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 5 years of experience in senior sales, business development or product marketing role selling or supporting a utility software solution. A Master’s in Business is an asset
- Proven experience working within Renewable Developers, EPC (Engineering, Procurement, and Construction), and utility-scale solar, battery, EV infrastructure and microgrid sales and channel environments
- Intimate knowledge of the renewable energy power market and its dynamics; ability to stay current with changing technologies, regulations, and trends
- Prior experience with SCADA, OMS, DMS, ADMS, utility-scale solar, battery and related utility software applications will be a significant advantage
- Prior experience selling to C-Level and Senior Technical Leadership within OEMs, utilities and/or channels supporting the electric utility markets
- Material experience establishing contractual relationships with partners in support of significant growth objectives
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, effective verbal, written communication, and presentation skills in-person and remotely. Must be able to communicate effectively
- Self-motivated, proactive, with a strong work ethic and the ability to operate with minimal supervision
- Team player
- Strong planning, strategy, and organization skills