Director of Rates and Regulatory Affairs
Who We Are
Do you want to join a team that values Service, Collaboration and Excellence?
Do you want to work with an organization that is committed to serving its customers and community by providing clean, reliable, and affordable energy to Long Island and the Rockaways?
Is being part of a value-driven organization important to you?
If yes, please check us out!
We are a team of motivated, engaged and exceptionally talented self-starters, willing to roll up our sleeves and do what is necessary to get the job done. If you are interested in joining this dynamic team and have a passion to learn, develop and want your experience to make an immediate impact, please apply.
What We Offer
We offer an environment of continuous development and growth. LIPA offers a thriving company culture, exceptional colleagues, and great benefits. Our benefit package includes:
- Hybrid work and flexible hours
- Medical insurance
- Dental and vision insurance at no cost to employee
- Paid holidays and generous leave time
- Professional development opportunities
- Educational assistance opportunities
- Multiple retirement plan options with company contribution
- Short-term and long-term disability coverage
- Flexible spending account
- Life Insurance
- 529 College Savings Program
- $300 Wellness Reimbursement
What We Need
- A degree in Business, Engineering, Math, Economics, or Science required
- An advanced degree (MS, MA MBA or equivalent) in Business, Engineering, Math, Economics, or Science preferred
- A minimum of 5-7 years of utility rates experience required; 8+ preferred
- Excellent written and communications skills
- A passion for public service and mission-driven work
- Ability to lead cross functional teams, collaborate with staff in other departments and LIPA’s vendors, and exercise influence with or without direct authority
What You’ll Do At LIPA
The Director of Rates and Regulatory Affairs is responsible for fulfilling LIPA’s mission of enabling clean, reliable, and affordable electric service for our customers by developing, justifying, and executing rate policies that incorporate the strategic objectives of LIPA into a cohesive plan for LIPA’s rates. This position will also be responsible for maintaining strong relationships with and balancing the interests of LIPA’s internal and external stakeholders, achieving supportive recommendations from the Department of Public Service and approval by the Board, and directing LIPA’s participation in statewide working groups and other regulatory activities that advance the interests of LIPA’s customers.
The Director of Rates and Regulatory Affairs is also responsible for directing the activities of the Manager of Rates, which include preparing rates and tariff proposals and supporting analyses that advance LIPA’s rate policies and other strategic objectives, monitoring LIPA’s sales and revenues and the performance of LIPA’s rates and cost recovery riders and overseeing load research activities.
LIPA is committed to transforming its power grid to meet New York’s landmark climate goals and delivering 100% carbon-free electricity by 2040. This position will be responsible for developing effective, innovative, and advanced rate designs that support this clean energy transformation, enabling the optimal integration of distributed energy resources into the grid in balance with the need to keep electric service affordable for all customers.
Other Essential Job Functions include:
- Developing LIPA’s short-term and long-term rate policy and regulatory strategy, which includes proposing improvements and refinements to LIPA’s rate policies and managing the execution of those policies through written rate and tariff proposals and performance metrics.
- Monitoring trends in Federal and State policies, regulation and legislation and discussing their implications for LIPA’s rate policies, capital spending plans and utility operations with executive leadership.
- Coordinating with the Director of Budget to ensure that LIPA’s budgets include sufficient operating and capital resources to execute LIPA’s rate policies and sufficient revenues to recover LIPA’s revenue requirements.
- Promoting enhancements to IT and customer service infrastructure needed to support proposed rate policies.
Salary Range: $175,000 - $205,000
LIPA is an equal opportunity employer.
Applying: Interested parties should submit their resume to Barbara Ann Dillon, Director of Human Resources and Administration, at 2022DirectorofRates@lipower.org