Energy storage is the key to unlocking a future where our world is powered by renewable resources. At Convergent Energy + Power, our mission is to make the electrical grid cleaner, more reliable, and less expensive by leveraging state-of-the-art energy storage and distributed generation technologies.
The Director, Origination will be the primary contract negotiator for revenue-generating long-term contracts with customers, including Power Purchase Agreements, Energy Services Agreements, Tolling Agreements, and other contract structures. This position will represent Convergent’s commercial interests in contract origination, and will balance growth-oriented deal-making with a sensible risk posture and a deep understanding of the business.
The ideal candidate will be a skilled negotiator and creative problem-solver who can translate the needs of the customer into advantageous contractual terms and redlines. They should have an appreciation for technical and financial realities, while also being a precise communicator.
This position will report directly to the Senior Vice President, Commercial Operations, and will work closely with Legal, Business Development, Engineering, and other departments. Opportunities will be sourced by the Business Development teams, but ultimately it is Commercial Operations that seals the deal.
What You’ll Do
- Conduct negotiations with commercial and legal counterparts at customer organizations
- Ensure that agreements are acceptable and beneficial to Convergent
- Implement terms acceptable to relevant internal Convergent stakeholders through consistent and unified messaging
- Secure internal approvals (including Board / Investment Committee approval) required for contract execution
- Prepare and deploy internal handoff materials following successful contract execution
- Advise and guide the Business Development teams toward advantageous business models and acceptable contractual structures
- Bachelor’s degree from a top program required, Master’s preferred
- High academic achievement with demonstrated quantitative and verbal skills
- 5-10 years of directly relevant experience
- Demonstrated experience negotiating, redlining, and closing complex deals, with an ability to correctly balance commercial interests against legal ideals
- Familiarity with all major aspects of energy project development, including land development, EPC arrangements, solar and storage technology fundamentals, grid interconnection, project finance, etc.
- Familiarity with major legal concepts germane to contracts and the fundamentals of contract drafting.
- A strong ability to build rapport and trust.
- A passion for clean energy and an entrepreneurial mindset.
- An ability to creatively problem-solve in collaboration with the customer, and then translate the results into tightly drafted contract structures.
If you are great with contracts and you thrive in a creative, growing company, we want to hear from you!
Our priority is to ensure that every team member feels valued and supported to have a healthy balance between work-life and personal life. We believe a full life outside of the office makes for a happier, healthier team. We support that by offering robust benefits that cover you and your family such as: medical, dental, vision insurances, PTO, and 401k with a company match.
Convergent is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements in the country where we operate. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org