Energy Operations Analyst
The Energy Operations Analyst is a member of the Energy Operations staff and provides support and oversight on a daily basis to monitor and identify actions of the Energy Operations group, ACES Power, Distribution Operator (DO), and NCEMC Generation plant staff that may have an impact on the reliability and operation of the Bulk Electric System (BES). The Energy Operations Analyst will be integral in utilizing the Distributed Energy Resource Management System (DERMS) to develop and operate demand reduction (DR) and distributed energy resource (DER) programs for economic and reliability purposes.
Academic and Trade Qualifications:
A Bachelor of Science degree in engineering, science, or business is required; or a five years combination of post-high school education in a related field and experience in the power industry or an energy operations environment. NERC System Operator license is ideal.
A minimum of two years of progressive power industry experience in engineering, transmission operations, generation dispatch, power marketing or other related field.
- Develop and maintain a superior level of working knowledge and understanding of the complex NCEMC resource portfolio and coordinate with ACES Power with respect to dispatch, scheduling, and energy accounting of NCEMC assets and contracts.
- Coordinate with ACES Power to assist in the reliable operation, dispatch, and scheduling of all NCEMC resources including generation, power purchase contracts, sales obligations, independent member schedules and transmission positions.
- Develop and maintain working knowledge of OATT business practices of the various transmission suppliers and how these practices apply to NCEMC.
NCEMC Distribution Operator (DO)
- Coordinate and train 24-hour DO desk on DERMS and grid reliability responsibilities
- Develop, maintain process procedures for the DO Desk’s use
- Field calls on abnormal asset status and alarms
NCEMC Distributed Energy Resource Management System (DERMS)
- Develop and maintain a working knowledge of the DERMS’s core design and use cases through collaboration with DERMS vendor
- Coordinate end-to-end testing of new EOG Resources in the portfolio
- Coordinate new projects within the system
- Support internal and external users of the system through training, testing, and troubleshooting
- Perform service pack deployment and verification & validation testing, including direct execution of test steps
- Compile, seek approval, and submit various operational, compliance, and reliability reports for RUS Form 12, EIA, SERC, NERC, PJM, DOE, VACAR and others as necessary.
- Develop and maintain a working knowledge of the Energy Operations’ tools including the Energy Management system, forecasting products and services, IMRSS, WESS, CES PI and the Resource Wizard and Block Schedules spreadsheets.
- Coordinate with ACES and internal departments to investigate, suggest and help implement changes and improvements to Energy Operations tools.
- Provide operational input for NERC compliance, resource planning, and forecasting purposes as requested.
- Analyze, update and develop processes, procedures and systems as directed for automation and integration of Energy Operations work into NCEMC Power Supply department.
- Develop a working knowledge and assume maintenance of the Energy Operations Emergency Procedures documents, training, and SharePoint site.
- Support system reliability and restoration efforts during extreme weather events.
- Develop and maintain optimal working relationships and coordination between Energy Operations and Power Supply, Plant Staff, Business and Information Technology, and Accounting staff.
- Recommend and maintain professional and career development.
- Lead and coordinate projects as directed.
- Good working knowledge of the power industry including energy markets, generation dispatch, transmission operations, and applicable NERC compliance
- Knowledge in the areas of distribution operations, SCADA, distributed generation, and metering
- Experience in an operations-type role where procedures and standards are often utilized is a plus
Abilities and Skills:
- Must be able to effectively multi-task and quickly shift efforts when appropriate
- Must be willing to learn and take ownership of a software system (DERMS) to support and forward its progress
- Must have good logical and critical thinking skills and be able to analyze, optimize and coordinate all aspects of NCEMC’s generation, power purchase and transmission portfolios.
- Must be able to effectively communicate with others: via phone, email, video-conference, etc.
- Must be proficient with the use of the Microsoft Office products. Proficiency with Excel macros and Visual Basic is a plus.
Relationships and Contacts:
- Reports to: Manager of Energy Operations and is accountable for results achieved.
- Directs: No direct reports.
- Internal Relationships: Shall maintain internal relationships necessary to achieve the purpose of the position and desired results.
- ACES Power --- Serve as one of the primary points-of-contact between NCEMC and ACES Power to monitor reliability, operational and scheduling issues.
- Member Systems --- Provide assistance as requested and collect and compile required data for contracts and compliance records.
- Consultants --- Coordinate or direct work as necessary to fulfill duties and assigned tasks and projects.
- OATI – Develop a strong relationship with OATI and working knowledge of the DERMS
- OVEC – Provide training and support to our 24-hour Distribution Operator desk
Office environment with occasional travel to NCEMC cooperatives, NCEMC power plants, and industry related training and conferences. On occasion, 24/7 availability is necessary for additional coverage and support during system peak days, emergency situations and inclement weather periods.