Manager, Strategy & Business Development
Intersect Power is a team of friends driven to preserve our planet for future generations through low-carbon energy and infrastructure solutions. Founded in 2016, the privately held clean energy company develops and owns some of the world’s largest clean energy resources serving customers in retail and wholesale energy markets across North America. The company is redefining the scope of the clean energy industry by enabling new pathways between clean electricity and the broader economy to enable the deep decarbonization of our economy. We are on an aggressive growth trajectory and are staffing key positions.
About This Position
The Strategy and Business Development Manager will be responsible for leading key strategic initiatives related to the company’s electricity market product offerings including: energy storage, electric vehicle charging, retail energy, etc. The role relies on leveraging a deep understanding of energy market fundamentals, combined with strong commercial and technical expertise, in order to identify innovative yet tangible business opportunities for Intersect to pursue. This position will report directly to the Head of Strategy and Business Development - Electricity Products, who reports directly to the CEO.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Define, develop and lead key strategic initiatives across a range of potential product offerings: clean energy, energy storage, electric vehicle charging, retail energy, data centers, etc.
- Leverage a deep understanding of energy market fundamentals, combined with strong commercial and technical expertise, to identify creative yet tangible business opportunities
- Conduct market research, design and perform techno-economic analysis; build and standardize internal and external analytical tools; concisely summarize complex analysis for executive-level review
- Draft business plans; propose preferred commercial structures; define and manage budgets; negotiate key commercial agreements; identify and engage with external counterparties and develop key relationships
- Coordinate cross-functionally with Origination and Power Marketing, Finance, Engineering, Procurement and other internal teams; coordinate and manage external consultant engagements
- Balance multiple high-priority initiatives, operating with an entrepreneurial, open-minded, collaborative, and committed approach to business development.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor's or Master's Degree in business, economics, math, engineering or related field
- 5-10 years of related strategy or business development experience
- Strong understanding of energy market rules and fundamentals
- Experience across a range of technologies (e.g., solar, wind, energy storage), regional markets (e.g. different ISOs or RTOs), and project types (e.g. utility-scale, commercial and industrial behind-the-meter, community solar, residential)
- Experience negotiating across different off-take structures and counterparties including retail electric providers, independent power producers, developers, deregulated and regulated utilities, and energy traders
- Prior experience supporting and negotiating complex transactions
- Strong quantitative aptitude with the ability to design, build, and run techno-economic models and tools for internal and external analysis
- Entrepreneurial mindset with an ability to operate within a fast-paced and growing company
- Ability to communicate efficiently and effectively, and concisely summarize complex ideas