Multiple Positions, Policy & Analysis Team
Coordinator, Associate, and Senior Associate roles
CLASP’s Policy & Analysis team seeks highly motivated and well-qualified people who are committed to climate change mitigation by reducing the environmental impacts of commonly used appliances.
About the Organization
CLASP’s mission is to improve the energy and environmental performance of the appliances & equipment we use every day, accelerating our transition to a more sustainable world.
We serve as the leading international voice and resource for appliance energy efficiency policies and market acceleration initiatives. From advancing off-grid solar technologies and bringing power to energy-impoverished people, to making our room air conditioners smarter and less costly to the climate, CLASP programs increase uptake of affordable, low-impact, high-quality appliances. Learn more about our programs.
Why join CLASP’s Policy & Analysis team
CLASP’s Policy & Analysis program has grown significantly over the past two years. We work in partnership with policymakers and other key stakeholders in over 100 countries—from Brazil to Indonesia, and India to Kenya, with support from a diverse group of donors.
Our team provides world-class technical and policy advisory services directly to governments to develop and implement the most ambitious and cost-effective policy solutions in countries and regions all over the world. We work hand-in-hand with policymakers, as well as industry and civil society to accelerate the development of energy efficient product markets through minimum energy performance standards, informative product labeling, and identification and promotion of the most efficient appliances, both on and off the grid. Energy efficiency policies and programs, such as the European Union’s Ecodesign and Energy Labels, and India’s UJALA program, drive markets towards more energy-efficient and higher quality appliances.
As our global portfolio continues to grow, we are expanding our team to ensure we can assist countries to meet their climate goals and deliver ambitious energy and carbon emission savings. We are looking for motivated professionals who are excited to join a dynamic and diverse international team who are deeply committed to the organization's mission and values of collaboration, transparency, and service.
Whether you join the Policy & Analysis team as a coordinator, associate, or senior associate, you will help us design and execute our global portfolio of product energy efficiency programs and projects in countries throughout Africa, Asia, Europe, Latin America, and the Caribbean.
Depending on your experience, skillsets, and interest, your responsibilities will include some combination of the following:
- Delivering technical & policy assistance: You will work with policymakers, local experts and our international team to lead, conduct or support the design and development of appliance energy efficiency standards and labelling programs, compliance frameworks, market transformation interventions, or communications awareness campaigns anywhere from Laos to Pakistan to Brazil to Kenya.
- Conducting research and analysis to inform program design: Whether we’re working on new energy efficiency test methods and performance standards for cooling products or designing a compliance framework for motors, you will lead, conduct or support technical and policy research on national and regional appliances markets, regulations, test laboratories, and initiatives, as well as perform and review appliance market and technology assessments using quantitative and analytical tools.
- Global and country or region-specific capacity building: You will give countries the tools they need to succeed in the long term, by designing and delivering training workshops to policymakers and other stakeholders and developing and implementing program tools, such as product databases and best practice guidelines.
- Programmatic and project management and implementation: You will lead, support or coordinate effective strategy and work planning, budget and team management, timely implementation, and communications of program or project activities with key partners. You will track and monitor programmatic activities and outcomes, intervening wherever necessary to ensure the highest quality and highest impact work.
- Building and fostering long-lasting partnerships: Collaboration is key to our success, both internally and externally. You will develop and maintain partnerships with governments, policymakers, standards bodies, as well as our donors and contractors, and other initiatives and organizations around the world.
- Representing CLASP on the international stage: You will participate in and present at international, regional and national meetings, workshops, and events to further the implementation of our programs and sustainability of energy efficient appliances.
- Crafting and communicating novel and innovative ideas: All team members are encouraged to be thought leaders, helping CLASP serve as the leading international voice & resource for appliance energy efficiency policies and market acceleration initiatives. Your contributions will feed into fundraising, communications, and more.
The Ideal Candidates
We’re looking for:
- Professional experience in energy efficiency, energy or environmental policy, international development, or a relevant field. Familiarity with appliance energy efficiency policies a plus.
- Entrepreneurial attitude and orientation, proactive, resourceful, nimble, and strategic approach to learning and problem-solving.
- Outstanding collaborator and team player with well-honed listening and interpersonal skills.
- Self-starter who can operate autonomously and manage up.
- Confident communication and public speaking skills, excellent writing skills a must.
- Ability to work from the macro to the micro level and easily adapt to evolving priorities.
- Time management and organizational skills, able to manage multiple tasks and projects.
- Ability to maintain composure, flexibility, and a sense of humor under tight deadlines.
- Adventurous and culturally sensitive attitude, excited to travel and work with partners on the ground. Experience in developing or emerging economies preferred.
- Bilingual or multilingual a plus.
- And last but not least - mission-driven and passionate about making a difference.
Coordinator – 1 to 2 years of relevant experience. Bachelor's degree required.
Associate – 2 to 3 years of professional experience. Graduate degree in a relevant field (e.g., engineering, international relations, development, economics, or environmental science or law) preferred.
Senior Associate – 3 to 5 years of professional experience. Graduate degree in a relevant field (e.g., engineering, international relations, development, economics, or environmental science or law) required.
Compensation and Location
CLASP provides its employees with a highly competitive salary that is benchmarked annually with other non-profit organizations in the DC metropolitan area. CLASP also provides a comprehensive and outstanding benefits package, including fully paid health insurance for individuals and competitive rates for families/dependents, unlimited leave and all federal holidays, an impressive match of employee contributions to the 403b retirement plan, and a collegial office environment that supports professional development, wellness and flexible telecommuting options.
These positions are full-time and based in CLASP’s Washington, D.C. office. International travel to developing and emerging economies is expected.
CEA Recruiting is assisting CLASP in their recruitment efforts. To be considered for this position, interested candidates must follow the link below to submit a resume and cover letter, indicating your desired position and salary requirements through CEA’s job portal. Please direct all applications and inquiries to CEA Recruiting. These positions will remain open until filled.
CLASP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status.
CEA Recruiting works with leading environmental nonprofits, foundations, and businesses to recruit top talent and design effective organizational staffing strategies. For more information, visit www.cearecruiting.com.