Project Manager, New York State Affairs
Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 850 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Our culture, values and commitment to diversity make EDF an exciting and meaningful place to work. Every job here makes a difference. Won’t you join us?
Project Manager, New York State Affairs
Location : This position is based out of the New York office and has the opportunity to be flexible to be a hybrid-based role. You must be available to come into the NYC office on some days and must be available external meetings in-person.
The State Affairs program of the Political Affairs department leads EDF’s efforts to achieve our policy goals through the legislative, regulatory, and political systems at the state and local levels. Our lobbyists, communicators, organizers and experts work together to achieve progress on our priority issues
The Project Manager for New York State Affairs reports to the New York State Director and is responsible for the implementation of effective policy and advocacy strategies that support EDF’s program efforts in NY. The project manager’s responsibilities may also include managing consultants/lobbyists, identifying internal and external synergies and conflicts, coordinating with partner organizations, and relationship development with influential decision makers. The project manager will work closely with the New York State Director, program staff, and core consultants that round out the NY-based policy and advocacy team.
- In consultation with the New York State Director, identify political and policy objectives and help design and implement strategies for effective state policy engagement in New York State and New York City.
- Lead coordination of collaborative efforts across EDF programs, departments, and the national political team to deliver effective advocacy in support of program efforts in NY.
- Embed with EDF program teams to shape advocacy goals and strategies through synthesis of issue research, policy analysis, and political perspective and prepare materials in furtherance of EDF’s advocacy agenda, strategic communications efforts, and other purposes.
- Lead key elements of EDF’s policy and advocacy strategy in New York State and New York City, including serving as deputy lead for EDF’s consultant lobbying team.
- Develop and manage the execution of strategic communications plans, in partnership with Marketing and Communications staff and NY-based consultant(s).
- Develop work plans for teams and project groups, including managing consultants, to ensure accountability for deliverables and critical tasks.
- Attend, participate, and represent EDF in meetings with policymakers, advocacy coalition partners, and other various external stakeholders.
- In collaboration with team members, produce grant applications and report materials and develop and manage discrete project budgets to support advocacy goals.
- Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Additional relevant responsibilities as assigned.
- At least four years of relevant professional experience with a bachelor’s degree, or advanced degree with at least two years of experience.
- Demonstrated leadership potential and experience managing small teams and workgroups.
- Strong preference for previous advocacy and/or political campaign experience.
- Detail-oriented, organized, self-starter, able to adapt to frequent change and prioritize effectively.
- Creativity, energy, and the ability to multi-task and get work done under pressure.
- Ability and willingness to work as a strong team player, while at the same time able to work independently.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Adaptable and flexible while working with a diverse team from varied backgrounds.
- Good judgment, initiative, and ability to anticipate problems and follow through with confidence.
- Commitment to Environmental Defense Fund’s mission of protecting public health and the environment.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 68,000 - 76,000 USD which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit your Resume and Cover Letter on our careers site at: https://www.edf.org/jobs/project-manager-new-york-state-affairs-0
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.