Braun Blaising Smith Wynne (BBSW) (https://www.braunlegal.com/) provides regulatory and legal services to public power entities on energy matters. Since the formation of BBSW in 1996, our attorneys have represented clients on a wide array of matters, including market and regulatory advocacy, commercial negotiations, public agency law and environmental regulation. BBSW’s attorneys actively practice administrative law before the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC), California Energy Commission, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, California Independent System Operator and California Air Resources Board (collectively, Regulatory Agencies).
BBSW provides service to a diverse group of clients, which includes some of California’s most innovative and progressive public agencies. Included among the clients is a growing list of community choice aggregators (CCAs), which have various regulatory obligations at the CPUC. BBSW also represents trade associations (e.g., California Municipal Utilities Association and California Community Choice Association), large publicly owned utilities (Sacramento Municipal Utility District) and numerous small publicly owned utilities, each of which has an interest in regulatory requirements.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
BBSW seeks a regular, full-time specialist with over five years of relevant experience with regulations and procedural requirements at one of the Regulatory Agencies, with preference given for experience at the CPUC (Specialist). The Specialist will be a non-attorney position yet will be required to have strong technical skills and an understanding of regulatory and procedural requirements applicable to the electric utility industry. Under the direct oversight of one of BBSW’s shareholders and with the assistance of BBSW’s attorneys, the Specialist will perform the following principal duties:
- Develop, implement and oversee regulatory compliance activities for BBSW’s public agency clients, principally CCAs;
- Review, analyze and summarize regulatory requirements;
- Organize, administer and update reports and activity logs for key cases and proceedings before the Regulatory Agencies; and
- Interact with Regulatory Agencies to understand and adhere to administrative and procedural filing requirements.
- Additional related duties as assigned.
Desired Experience and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance, Economics, Accounting, Public Policy, Engineering, Information Technology, Legal Studies, or related discipline;
- Strong organizational and time-management skills;
- Excellent written communication skills;
- Strong Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point skills;
- Experience in regulatory affairs or in a closely related field at an electric utility, non-profit, or a government agency, with preference given for experience in regulatory affairs on matters before the CPUC;
- Demonstrated knowledge of key regulations at the Regulatory Agencies; and
- Knowledge of program management theories, concepts, methods, best practices, and techniques, as needed to perform at the job level.
Regular work week is Monday through Friday, and candidate must be available to work until approximately 5:30 p.m. Periodically, work outside of normal business hours will be required. Periodic travel to San Francisco, and possibly other locations, is required of this position.
BBSW’s office is located in downtown Sacramento, and preference will be given to candidates who are able to work primarily at BBSW’s Sacramento office. However, given BBSW’s interaction with the CPUC, BBSW may also consider candidates residing in a reasonable nearby radius to Sacramento.
Benefits and Compensation
Compensation will reflect the candidate’s experience and qualifications. Benefits include a pre-determined employer match to employee contributions to a 401(k), paid health, dental and vision insurance up to a set amount, paid time off, paid cell phone, paid parking in downtown Sacramento, and other general benefits. Enrollment in benefits is based on eligibility requirements.
Applicants should provide the following for consideration:
- Cover Letter
- List of Professional References with telephone numbers and email addresses.
BBSW is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or any other prohibited category.