Senior Attorney, International Energy Transition
Earthjustice is accepting applications for a senior attorney position to join our growing team of lawyers working to advance clean energy solutions and speed the transition away from dirty fossil fuels in key countries around the world. The attorney will focus on work with foreign and international nongovernmental organizations and institutions to develop regulatory frameworks for – and to remove obstacles to – the accelerated deployment of clean energy. The attorney will also work on a range of cases challenging fossil energy plants and projects in select countries.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a long track record of success in partnering across borders to use US, foreign, and international law to protect the global environment. Drawing on deep experience in foreign, US and international environmental, energy and human rights law, and foreign and international litigation, we work with partners in Africa, Indonesia, Australia, Latin America and elsewhere on domestic and international legal advocacy to reduce dependence on dirty fossil fuels and speed the transition to clean energy.
The position will be part of our International Program, which is based in San Francisco, CA, and will collaborate closely with our Washington DC-based Clean Energy Program. For that reason, it is our strong preference that the position be based in San Francisco or Washington, DC, but another location may be considered in exceptional circumstances.
- Collaborate with foreign partners and allies, and with Earthjustice colleagues, to develop and implement legal advocacy, capacity building and litigation strategies to support international clean energy and other program goals.
- Build and maintain collaborative relationships with foreign and US allies, co-counsel, clients and coalition partners in support of program goals.
- Serve as spokesperson for International Program and for Earthjustice.
- Supervise the work of associate attorneys, clerks and interns.
- Work effectively with other departments within Earthjustice, including Communications and Development.
- Juris Doctorate (JD) degree or equivalent non-US law degree.
- A minimum of six years of litigation or legal advocacy experience, as well as a demonstrated capacity to contribute to the development of government policies or regulations.
- Licensed to practice law in the US jurisdiction in which the attorney will be located, or a willingness and qualifications to apply for membership within one year of employment.
- Excellent litigation or legal advocacy skills, including legal research, writing and oral advocacy skills.
- Experience in clean energy and energy transition issues, and knowledge of foreign energy or environmental law.
- Proficiency in working with technical experts.
- Experience working in cross-cultural settings.
- Initiative, good judgment, and a strong work ethic.
- Ability to work independently and in collaboration with clients, partners and staff.
- Ability to develop and maintain partnerships with community-based or other grassroots groups.
- Ability and willingness to travel internationally as needed.
- Commitment to serving the public interest.
- Demonstrated awareness of and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse and non-US cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Commitment to help create a diverse, equitable and inclusive workforce and culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
The ideal candidate will also have substantial experience working in another country and professional fluency in a foreign language.
Salary is based on number of years of litigation experience and location.
Salary range in San Francisco, CA: $159,100+
Salary range in Washington, DC: $151,100+
For litigators and advocates committed to saving the planet and the people who depend on it, Senior Attorney at Earthjustice is the best job on the planet. Learn more about our Senior Attorney careers and work online here: https://earthjustice.org/about/jobs/senior-attorney
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Interested candidates should submit the following via Jobvite:
- One- or two-page cover letter that addresses
- (1) why you are drawn to Earthjustice’s mission and utilizing litigation to achieve that mission; and
- (2) aspects of your background that demonstrate competence to work with diverse clients and colleagues
- Two legal writing samples
- List of three professional references
Click here to apply: https://app.jobvite.com/j?cj=oAR6hfwy&s=YPEnergy
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.