Senior Business Analyst
More than a utility company, Unitil provides energy for life.
Our work helps keep homes comfortable, businesses thriving and communities connected. Unitil is an investor-owned public utility proudly serving Maine, Massachusetts and New Hampshire. We are dedicated to delivering energy to our customers safely and reliably.
Unitil is committed to creating an inclusive environment that welcomes and values the differences among all of our employees, customers, suppliers and the communities in which we live and conduct business. The continued success of Unitil is enhanced through initiatives that promote diversity and value our employees.
Take advantage of a comprehensive benefits package.
Unitil offers competitive salaries, a consumer-driven health plan, dental and vision coverage, flexible work, company-paid holidays, a, robust, highly competitive retirement plan and educational assistance.
*Note: Benefit offerings may differ between union and non-union employee groups.
The Business Analyst is a key member of the Energy Efficiency Administration and Compliance Team whose focus is on financial planning and performance in a dynamic and highly regulated utility environment. Coordinating with other departments within the Company as well as with other program administrators of the NHSaves and Mass Save energy efficiency programs, the Business Analyst will be responsible for refining and carrying out complex procedures related to budgeting, forecasting, reporting, and responding to both routine and ad hoc reports and information requests under the supervision of the Manager of Strategy and Compliance. The Business Analyst will identify opportunities to reduce administrative costs, increase efficiency within the department, and ensure both internal and external deliverables are executed on time and with a high degree of accuracy.
50% Develop and maintain budgets and financial records for regulated gas and electric energy efficiency programs in the Company’s Massachusetts and New Hampshire territories.
• Work with the team to develop annual and tri-annual plans, with a focus on budgeting, revenue forecasting, and allocation of shared costs across dozens of operational accounts in accordance with statewide standards and practices.
• Track and report on variances to plan related to revenues and costs by customer sector, program and budget category; perform quality assurance and quality control, and identify opportunities for cost-savings and cost-efficiency.
• Maintain and refine complex reconciliation models, bill impact models, energy efficiency forecasts, and oversee the generation of outputs and reports from such models.
• Assist in the maintenance of internal data tracking systems and generation of reports for internal and external stakeholders.
25% Support the regulatory process related to energy efficiency program planning and reporting in Massachusetts and New Hampshire.
• Stay apprised of and apply standard practices to planning and reporting models and support the design and development of EE programs based on this knowledge.
• Assume the role of subject matter expert on cost-benefit analysis, performance incentives, lost base revenue, competitive procurement standards, cost allocation, customer bill impacts and budgeting related to the energy efficiency programs both internally and externally, and help to prepare testimony and develop responses to data requests.
• Take the initiative to stay apprised of and respond creatively to evolving regulatory and stakeholder requirements.
• Provide support related to outside audits of the energy efficiency programs by providing relevant backup to invoices, and respond to requests for information regarding the Company’s expenditures, and payments to outside vendors as well as internal payroll and overhead costs.
• Represent Unitil in relevant energy efficiency working groups and management committees.
10% Manage the list of outside vendors working with the energy efficiency programs.
• Support the Company’s procurement team and implementation staff to ensure timely, secure and appropriate record keeping around requests for proposals, renewal of scopes of work, execution of purchase orders, and tracking of expenditures.
• Ensure data is collected and stored to efficiently support accurate reporting regarding various regulatory requirements concerning procurement practices and oversight of vendors.
15% Demonstrate continuous support for both the Corporate Mission and the Department’s Mission through actions that are consistent with Unitil’s RISE Values:
• Support operations during storm restoration events and other system emergencies including: on-call duties to staff local emergency operations centers and other support as requested.
• Guide and support junior staff to support an effective, cross-functional team, and be open to diverse opinions and workstyles, including hybrid work.
• With Manager, establish and work toward both personal and departmental goals, and embrace taking risks to achieve those goals.
• Accept responsibility for evolving and dynamic workload, make appropriate decisions in a timely manner, and communicate productively with colleagues both inside and outside of the Company.
Master’s degree in a quantitative discipline preferred, preferably economics, statistics, or mathematics; though candidates with extensive and relevant experience will also be considered. A minimum of four years of directly applicable professional experience in a utility or regulatory environment; strong analytical and organizational skills, strong oral and written communication skills, and advanced computer skills in Microsoft Excel. Extremely detail oriented, organized and flexible.