Sr. Air Quality and Energy Specialist
POSITION: Sr. Air Quality and Energy Specialist (Exempt)
SALARY: $71,227.00 - $110,343.00 Annually
CLOSING DATE: 06/23/21 05:00 PM
APPLY ONLINE: https://www.portofportland.com/Careers
Are you blown away by Air Quality, Carbon and Energy Programs? Do you share a passion for environmental stewardship and thrive in an environment of collaboration to support business development, maintain regulatory compliance, and work on innovative projects? If you said yes, then the Port's Senior Air Quality and Energy Specialist position might be the job for you!
SUMMARY OF ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Regulation and legislation: Track the evolving regulatory and legislative landscape and provide professional and technical support for the development of Air and Energy program strategies.
- Help track regulatory and legislative issues and trends to maintain the highest and best knowledge of pertinent information.
- Effectively communicate environmental regulations, permit conditions, and policies within the Port and with relevant external stakeholders.
- Collect data and prepare reports to demonstrate compliance with regulatory obligations including, but not limited to air toxics; greenhouse gas emissions and climate change; and, Energy (efficiency, conservation and renewables).
- Program delivery: Support successful delivery of the Air and Energy programs.
- Conduct research and interpret information to support development and implementation of applicable Port policies, standards, processes and resource management plans.
- Support cross-departmental planning and communications as well as development of recommendations on complex Port business issues.
- Support implementation of the Environmental Management System including regular reporting on program performance. May oversee outside services contracts and budgets.
- Project and business opportunity analysis: Provide professional and technical support across all Port operating areas regarding Air and Energy program areas.
- Conduct opportunity evaluations of: Port master, facility and other plans; capital projects; business transactions, proposals and designs; and operations and maintenance activities.
- Identify cost-saving opportunities.
- Other projects: Manage the environmental aspects of multi-disciplinary projects focused on mitigating the effects of climate change and reducing air toxics emissions as appropriate.
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental management/science or related a field or the equivalent combination of education and/or relevant experience is required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Five or more years' relevant work experience.
- Working knowledge of strategies for clean energy production/conservation/efficiency and mitigating effects of air toxics and greenhouse gas emissions is required.
- Federal, state and local laws, regulations and plans associated with air toxics, greenhouse gas emissions and energy efficiency/conservation/renewables is required.
- Advanced knowledge of federal, state and local laws, regulations, guidance, permits and plans associated with air toxics, greenhouse gas emissions and energy efficiency, conservation, and renewables is preferred.
- Valid driver’s license is required.
- Ability to obtain Oregon boat operator certificate is required.
- Ability to obtain and maintain security clearance to gain access to secure areas of the Port’s airports, marine terminals and other properties is required.
- Ability to obtain OSHA Hazwoper certification is required.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- A “can do” attitude; swiftly identifies issues and seeks creative solutions.
- Proficient written and verbal communications skills; tailors content to varying audiences.
- Complex project and process management.
- Experience managing project ambiguity, complexity, and interdependencies in a methodical and structured way.
- Promotes safety as a guiding principle and a regular practice in accomplishing work; focuses on safety improvements and complies with safety and health policies and procedures.
- Shows the utmost respect for others and is a proven team player.
- Apply a broad range of knowledge to the completion of complex and challenging assignments.
- Plan, organize, and schedule all phases of work products to achieve quality outputs on schedule.
- Work effectively in collaboration with junior staff, peers, and management.
- Resolve problems with minimal conflict, and motivate colleagues to collaborate.
- Multi-task in a high energy environment; proactively work through ambiguity.
- Work without supervision; apply good judgment on when to escalate matters.
- Orient, train and oversee performance of junior peers on support tasks.
- Create a positive work environment.
- Demonstrate commitment to valuing differences among individuals and passion for being inclusive.
- Diversity and Inclusion: At the Port, we don't just accept difference; we value and support it to create a culture of inclusiveness and fun. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- EEO/Affirmative Action Policy Statement: The Port of Portland is dedicated to maintaining and improving a work environment, which extends equal opportunity to all individuals, regardless of their race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability or sexual orientation. Employment decisions shall be made in such a manner as to further the principle of equal employment opportunity and to comply with state, federal and local laws. We affirm through this policy statement our continuing commitment to the principles of nondiscrimination and affirmative action.
- Veterans Preference: Under Oregon law, qualified veterans may be eligible for veterans preference when applying for Port of Portland positions. If you are a veteran and would like to be considered for a veterans preference for this job, please provide the qualifying documents as instructed during the application process.
- Background Checks and Drug Testing: The Port of Portland will conduct background checks and/or drug tests for positions where such tests are required by regulation and for other highly sensitive positions.
- ADA Accommodation: Accommodations will be considered for applicants or candidates with a qualifying disability that prevents them from participating in this process. Accommodations will be made where the Port can reasonably do so without imposing an undue hardship on the business or compromising the integrity of the recruitment process. An applicant with any disability who believes that they need an accommodation should contact Human Resources at 503.415.6000
APPLY ONLINE: https://www.portofportland.com/Careers
CLOSING DATE: 06/23/21 05:00 PM PT