Mechanical Engineer - Battery Design
We're seeking an experienced, hands-on mechanical engineer with an aptitude for learning new things and a desire to help invent the next generation of lithium-ion batteries. This position will focus on designing and optimizing these batteries, along with lab and pilot scale manufacturing and test systems. You’ll be working across mechanical, materials, and electrochemical domains with scientists, engineers, and technicians, so mental flexibility and collaborative problem solving abilities are required. You don’t need to have deep experience in all of these fields, but you must be willing to get it.
- Design lithium-ion batteries for customers and partners
- Develop systems and procedures for the fabrication and test of lithium ion batteries
- Craft and execute experimental plans
- Find failure-modes and root-causes. Crush them
- Exceptional system design, process-engineering, and experimentation abilities
- Strong mechanical design and fabrication aptitude. Intuition for what will work and analytical ability to evaluate from 1st principles
- Demonstrated ability to learn new systems and improve on them
- Programming skills are a plus
- Experience with materials, chemicals, PV, semiconductors, or pharma is a plus
- Experience with Lithium Ion Batteries is a plus
- Must have at least a B.S. in engineering or physical sciences (e.g. M.E., Physics)
- 2-3 years of work experience required (or 1-2 for candidates with an M.S.)
- Portfolio of past engineering/design projects (professional and/or personal) a plus
ABOUT SILA We design and produce engineered materials that dramatically increase the energy density of rechargeable Li-ion batteries. Our products enable smaller, lighter, longer lasting electronic devices and unlock mass adoption of affordable, long-range electric vehicles. Our developments represent the next commercial breakthrough in battery science - only the fifth in over 150 years of battery history. Sila was founded in 2011 and is based in Alameda, CA. Our founders are two early Tesla Motors battery engineers and a Professor of Materials Science at Georgia Tech. We’re backed by Tier 1 venture capital firms, led by Sutter Hill Ventures, Matrix Partners, Bessemer Venture Partners, and In-Q-Tel. Our company culture is built on personal growth, mutual trust, inclusiveness, and safety. We are dedicated to building a world-class materials company, where our team is close, debates are data-driven, and our office puppies are named Angstrom, Lumen, Gadget, and Miso.