Sr. Building Engineer
Target Start Date: March 2018
Reports To: Vice President, Strategic Initiatives
Location: San Francisco, CA
Carbon Lighthouse is looking for an experienced and inquisitive engineer with deep technical experience working with the mechanical systems found in commercial buildings. This position is part of our Building Innovation Group, which resides within the Strategic Initiatives Team.
You will play a key role in identifying and validating new energy savings opportunities within buildings. This research program will funnel directly into our day-to-day engineering process at Carbon Lighthouse, continually expanding our areas of expertise. You will draw upon your deep knowledge of building systems to design structured research projects and field trials to develop and test innovative approaches for achieving energy savings. You will also investigate product claims and feasibility of existing solutions in the marketplace for potential integration into the Carbon Lighthouse service offering. Your role will not be directly related to work at customer sites, but rather your focus will be on ensuring that Carbon Lighthouse continues to refine and expand our understanding of building systems so we can increase our environmental impact.
You should have 3+ years of professional experience directly related to mechanical systems found in commercial/institutional buildings, including detailed functional knowledge of all major building systems such as chilled water loops, hot water loops, air handlers, and DX equipment. You are excited by complex, open-ended, and real world engineering challenges, genuinely enjoy working on collaborative teams, and want to be involved in large scale challenges that require long term persistence.
The role will be based out of San Francisco and is not required to travel regularly.
About Carbon Lighthouse:
Carbon Lighthouse is on a mission to stop climate change by making it easy and profitable for building owners to eliminate carbon emissions caused by wasted energy. The company’s unique approach to Efficiency Production goes deep into buildings to uncover and continuously correct hidden inefficiencies that add up to meaningful financial value and carbon elimination that lasts. Since 2010, commercial real estate, educational, hospitality and industrial customers nationwide have chosen Carbon Lighthouse to enhance building comfort, increase net operating income and achieve their sustainability goals.
We are a team that highly values question asking, getting it done, integrity, and teamwork. We appreciate a fulfilling work-life balance, prize transparency and communication, hold ourselves to high standards of performance and professionalism, strive for dynamism and innovation, and support our team members’ professional development.
- Identify new energy savings opportunities through channels such as industry events, literature review (e.g. white papers, ASHRAE publications, published research), vendor relationships, and our Engineering Team.
- Within a team, design and implement research efforts to quantify real-world energy savings outcomes from proposed solutions, including but not limited to visiting sites with functioning examples of the measure, reviewing data to confirm results, and/or designing field trials and other experiments to validate results on our own.
- Use your own experience as well as external experts, contractors, and vendors to establish appropriate implementation feasibility requirements, potential interactive effects, and approximate costs for new measures
- Deliver to Project Managers on the Engineering Team all necessary information for them to be able to implement the newly identified energy savings opportunities on their own, and provide guidance and mentorship to support them.
- Passion for clean energy, sustainability or mission-driven organizations
- 3+ years of direct work experience in commissioning, retro-commissioning, mechanical contracting and/or consulting, and/or project management of mechanical systems installation.
- Familiarity with all common building systems including, but not limited to, chilled water loops, hot water loops, air handling systems, water sourced heat pumps, DX systems, cooling towers, and pumping
- Proficiency with numerical calculations, such as using Excel for energy modeling
- Deep curiosity and question asking
- Enjoy respectful debates and learning from others
- Desire to teach and train others
- Interest and ability to ask probing questions of contractors and vendors about the benefits and feasibility of potential technologies
- Excellent communicator, with consistent and transparent decision making
- A passion for delivering results that will have real-world impact
- Experience with designing, installing, and/or programming building controls systems
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary + equity
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Generous vacation policy
- Fully paid maternity and paternity leave benefits
- Subsidized public transit and bike to work benefits
If you’re passionate about our environmental mission and are a fit for this roll, please apply! Please fill out the brief application form at carbonlighthouse.com/about-us/careers and be prepared to submit three references at a later date.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we look forward to hearing from you.