Business Development Lead - Grid Services
Sunnova is a different kind of Power Company, offering rooftop solar service to homeowners within the United States and its territories through our network of local sales and installation partners. Our mission is to change the energy industry by providing the choice of low-cost, worry-free solar power that generates long-term savings for our customers and continued business growth for our partners.
Come be part of the fastest growing segment of the energy industry!
The Business Development Lead Position:
We are currently seeking a Business Development Lead to support the fast-growing Grid Services division within Sunnova. Our ambitious team is building a network of distributed energy assets to meet the challenge of providing clean, affordable, and reliable energy to all homeowners. This individual will actively identify and develop partnerships and opportunities where Sunnova’s fleet of solar, storage, and energy management capabilities can create value. This role will work with counterparties such as utilities, grid operators, third parties, and other participants to solve the challenges of bringing distributed energy resources into power markets.
Reporting to the Director of Grid Services, the Business Development Lead will work across many different teams to ensure new Grid Service programs and opportunities are well understood and properly implemented. The ability to market our solutions effectively, negotiate deal terms, and respond to proposals all while understanding the impacts to the business are fundamental to the role. A willingness to solve complex problems, drive consensus across functions, and collaborate within an organization is required. Honesty, accountability, and integrity are a must.
Business Development Lead Responsibilities:
- Drives new business development for grid services with utilities, grid operators, aggregators, and program leads.
- Identifies and responds to new opportunities.
- Builds new business relationships with partners to expand Sunnova’s market offerings.
- Implements new grid services programs within Sunnova, working across the organization to build an optimal execution strategy.
- Manages active programs to ensure business objectives are being met, and continually analyzes program execution and effectiveness.
- Collaborates within the regulatory and policy side of the industry to understand market drivers and changes in the industry.
- Bachelor’s Degree in business, engineering, or applicable area of focus
- Minimum of 5 years of applicable experience in energy, including grid services, energy trading, and/or distributed energy resource management
- Experience developing new business opportunities, engaging new customers and partners, and identifying business opportunities in an emerging and nascent sector
- Master’s Degree in business, engineering or related fields
- Experience in the competitive and regulated power industry
- Experience in implementing business opportunities into organizations (program management).
- Analytical thinker capable of defining value for customers, business, and counterparties with modeling experience
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Sales, Business Development, Marketing, and Program Management
- Demonstrated understanding of regulatory and policy changes regarding distributed energy assets (regulatory and policy)
- Demonstrated understanding virtual power plant technology (technical perspective).
- Understanding of power markets, distributed energy resources, and virtual power plant technology, including deep insight into the changes occurring in the power sector and the role of distributed energy resources
- Ability to influence others and drive consensus within an organization
- Thrives in a challenging and fast-paced workplace
- 30 – 50% estimated travel time
- Houston, TX or Other Location
Sunnova offers a generous employee reward package that includes:
- Comprehensive benefits
- Competitive compensation & annual bonus
- Paid time off, including 10 holidays and Paid Parental Leave
- Cell phone allowance for many roles
- Free access to onsite fitness center in Houston; discounted fitness memberships through health provider
- Complimentary garage parking in Houston