Clean Energy Loan Officer
Virginia Community Capital is a Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) with a mission to create jobs, energize places, and promote an enhanced quality of life for Virginians. With offices in Christiansburg, Norfolk, and Richmond, we offer innovative and flexible financing tools throughout the state. In addition, we provide professional advisory services to individuals and organizations in low-to- moderate income and underserved communities. For more information about VCC, visit: https://www.vacommunitycapital.org/
VCC is currently seeking a Clean Energy Loan Officer to support our team through our next stages of growth.
VCC seeks to continue its sustainable organizational growth and focus new programs and lending programs to 1) Create Vibrant Places in Virginia, 2) Enhance Quality of Life for underserved areas of the Commonwealth, and 3) Provide support for Job Creation and economic prosperity. VCC’s clean energy lending program focuses on commercial projects sizing ranging from $100,000 to $5 million. VCC does not offer residential solar loans. VCC is unique in its range of expertise and disciplined approach to financing. A career at VCC is a chance to learn, train and contribute to communities throughout the Commonwealth. Additionally, you will be part of growing, dynamic mission-driven organization.
This position can be located in Central Virginia or the DC metro area
The Loan Officer is responsible for originating, structuring, and underwriting a minimum of $5 million of clean energy loans in the first year. Initially the loan officer will analyze clean energy business opportunities, and the policy and regulatory framework in various states on the east coast to guide the direction of our loan origination efforts. Additionally, the loan officer is responsible for maintaining strong relationships with clean energy developers and installers and providing quality customer service, acting as the principal account manager for new and existing customers. The Loan Officer is responsible for business development, credit analysis, underwriting, and proper loan structuring within the parameters of existing lending programs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Identify opportunities for new business in existing portfolio, from referrals, and through proactive marketing efforts
- Conduct proactive outreach calling in assigned territory, participate with team members in industry trade shows, attend planning and economic development meetings, and proactively call on community and economic development officials
- Research policy and regulatory framework in new markets.
- Assist in development of marketing tools, loan products, process reviews, etc. as required
- Represent VCC in various public settings
- Assist borrowers with loan applications; assess adequacy of information provided; provide feedback to borrower and Manager
- Structure Loan Transactions - fit borrower needs in tandem with VCC program guidelines; make pricing and loan structuring recommendations
- Financial Analysis - review financial statements, budgets, operating statements, cash flows, and all project pro formas and sources and uses statements
- Credit Analysis – author credit memos including both analytical and descriptive writing; assess risks of transactions’ strengths and weaknesses, make recommendations and present to loan committee for approval
- Attendance and participation at loan committee required Loan Closing & Monitoring
- Negotiate loan’s financial, business and legal terms
- Prepare loan commitment letters
- Coordinate loan closing and loan servicing needs of borrower with Loan Closer
- If appropriate, approve construction draws reviewed and recommended by Construction Admin.
- Monitor assigned loan portfolio and maintain relationships with current borrowers, underwriting and closing additional loans as requested by borrowers and soliciting repeat business
- Assure timely loan closing and funding activities
Education, Experience, Certifications:
Bachelor’s degree required from 4-year college or university. Minimum 3 years in the clean energy sector- ideally in business development or finance. Banking or lending experience is not required but is a significant plus. Must be motivated to explore new markets and originate new loans. Ability to review and assess state clean energy policy and regulations and its impact on the risk of loan repayment. Familiarity with community solar, commercial PACE, solar energy generating systems, power purchase agreements and SRECs is preferred. Existing relationships with clean energy project developers is beneficial. This is an outward facing role and client engagement is a key element of this role.
Organizational Skills: Well developed organizational and decision-making skills. Ability to meet deadlines and handle multiple responsibilities simultaneously, and ability to create and manage external client relationships.
Communication: Must be able to write clearly and concisely and orally communicate data and make persuasive statements.
- Ability to review and analyze pro-formas, operating projections, and financial statements
- Ability to both prepare pro-formas and projections and analyze/manipulate those prepared by borrowers to conform to VCC’s underwriting criteria
- Ability to draw conclusions from financial and market data to make sound recommendations regarding loan conditions and requirements
- Excellent Word, Excel and Windows file management skills mandatory
- Demonstrated web research skills
- Familiarity with Outlook or similar network-based email and calendar software
Compensation and Benefits: VCC offers a competitive salary based on experience and skills, as well as an excellent benefits package including health, disability, and life insurance, 401(k) savings plan with employer match, and paid time off. The salary range for this position is $60,000 to $80,000. In addition to salary, this position is eligible for a bonus opportunity if bonuses are paid in any given calendar year.
Click link to apply or mail or fax resume with cover letter to:
Virginia Community Capital
7814 Carousel Lane, Suite 100
Richmond, VA 23294
Fax: (804) 939-6180