Director of Policy (Energy & Electricity Markets)
Founded in 2017, CO2EFFICIENT LLC (COEFFICIENT) is a Washington, D.C.-based strategic consulting practice that specializes in corporate sustainability, climate and energy policy, and nature-based solutions. The firm leverages decades of bipartisan policy, regulatory, and market expertise in energy, climate, environment, and financial markets to address growing corporate demands to balance policy uncertainty and technological innovation with ESG (Environment, Social, Governance) goals.
COEFFICIENT is seeking to hire a Director of Policy (Energy & Electricity Markets) to join our Washington, D.C. office. Priority consideration for candidates who have approximately +5 years of relevant experience in organized electricity markets or state electricity policy matters. Other relevant experience includes technical research and writing, communications, project management responsibilities, and policy advocacy coalitions.
The candidate will directly support the firm’s management, overseeing a diverse range of client- and partnership-facing projects and initiatives. Successful candidates work well in team dynamics to support clients with some of the most pressing energy, climate, and environmental policy issues of the day. We seek dynamic individuals who are self-starters, quick-studies, and can multi-task in fast-paced environments.
Essential responsibilities include the following. Other responsibilities may be assigned.
Policy Engagement and Advocacy:
- Conduct legislative and market policy research, help design strategy, and write compelling policy and business content to advance client interests.
- Prepare effective advocacy materials including background papers, issue briefs, talking points, presentations, and testimony for firm’s representatives, partner organizations, and clientele.
- Build relationships with key policymakers and other influential federal government-oriented stakeholders.
- Build third-party political, advocacy, NGO, and industry allies to support strategic policy objectives.
Technical Research, Writing, and Communications:
- Actively monitor and report-out on existing and emerging legislative and regulatory activity regarding energy, climate, environmental, and sustainable finance matters to clients and stakeholders.
- Undertake a range of research and writing projects including (1) short-form blog posts, press releases, marketing materials, newsletters, social media, and forum abstracts and (2) long-form white papers, policy-related memos, forum proceedings, and client reports.
- Oversee and execute on all project phases from sourcing new business to managing client expectations, overseeing and executing project objectives, and successfully meeting milestones through project completion.
- Provide work plan development, execution, and monitoring.
- Lead and assist a range of policy research, advocacy, and stakeholder engagement projects with frequent interaction across public-private partnering organizations, federal legislative and executive offices, associations, non-governmental organizations, and corporations.
Desired Skills & Experience
- Priority consideration for candidates who have approximately +5 years of relevant experience in organized electricity markets or state electricity policy matters; federal or state legislative or executive branch experience preferred.
- Ability to work independently, as well as part of a team.
- Strong research, writing, communication, and organization skills.
- Detail-oriented, including ability to prioritize while meeting tight deadlines.
- Demonstrate a proactive focus on meeting client and project requirements, in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Ability to create and manage a project plan with long- and short-term timelines, with an understanding of prioritizing resources and tasks.
- Consistently identifies and pursues opportunities for enhancing involvement and contributions to the firm and its clients and partners.
- Makes increasingly substantive contributions to the development of new business proposals and presentations for potential and existing clients.
- Competitive salary (based on level of experience).
- Generous health benefits including fully paid medical and dental insurance.
- 401(k) plan with company contribution match.
- Flexible work environment – we support flexible work hours and remote working.
- Discretionary vacation/PTO policy.
- Business casual dress code.
- Job responsibilities and salary can be scaled for candidates with exceptional qualifications.