Florida Clean Energy Manager, State Affairs
With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across five programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
Florida Clean Energy Manager, State Affairs
LOCATION: St. Petersburg, FL; Remote in Florida
The Florida Clean Energy Manager will provide leadership, management, and strategic direction for EDF’s climate and energy policy in Florida. These duties will be executed in close coordination with the Florida Director, as well senior EDF climate and energy experts in the U.S. Region.
This position will report to the Florida Director, working closely with Climate and Clean Energy Director and the U.S. Climate Director.
- Develop and execute strategies with clear metrics for success to advance state-level policies to reduce carbon pollution in the electric power and transportation sectors; working in cooperation with relevant EDF staff.
- Monitor and report on legislative activities related to EDF’s clean energy agenda.
- Attend, participate, and represent EDF in meetings with policymakers, advocacy coalition partners, and other various external stakeholders.
- Synthesize issue research and policy analysis to draft and edit documents and other materials to support EDF’s advocacy in Florida, strategic communications efforts, internal and external reporting requirements, and other purposes.
- Build program visibility among key stakeholder groups and impact through leveraged partnerships and network expansion.
- Integrate equity and environmental justice into programmatic work, processes, and priorities; deepen relationships with local justice and equity leaders and impacted communities; provide recommendations and act on opportunities for EDF to provide meaningful allyship to equity and justice peers and frontline communities.
- Engage with regulatory agencies and commissions on discrete rulemakings and dockets related to energy priorities.
- Provide subject matter expertise and thought leadership internally and externally, and engage academics, scientists, policy experts, and others to solve complex climate challenges.
- Ensure programmatic strategies and priorities are integrated with EDF federal programs and priorities.
- Engage with media to advance project objectives and communicate project results to a broad array of audiences.
- Work with EDF leadership and development officers to identify potential funding sources to secure the long-term success of the program. Review, craft and/or manage the programmatic contribution to funding proposals and reports.
- Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Additional relevant responsibilities as assigned.
- Master’s degree and at least four (4) years of work experience in climate/energy policy and/or advocacy campaigns preferred; Bachelors plus six (6) years required.
- Experience in project management and exceptional personal organization and attention to detail required.
- A high level of strategic thinking is required to synthesize complex information to identify and deploy action plans
- Possess a high degree of diplomacy to influence and manage key stakeholders and teams
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate, build effective coalitions, and work within diverse communities.
- Ability and willingness to work as a strong team player, together with a demonstrated capacity to work independently and as a self-starter.
- Highly proficient computer skills, including MS Office Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Creativity, energy, and the ability to multi-task and get work done under pressure and respond quickly to changing opportunities.
- Strong and persuasive verbal and written communication skills.
- Presence, confidence, integrity, creativity and a sense of humor.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your Resume and Cover Letter on our careers site.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization. We take into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Please note that pay ranges are country specific. As a result, the stated currency is not meant be converted into any other currency.