Technical Energy Advisor
We seek a highly motivated, collaborative, knowledgeable energy professional to serve as Technical Energy Advisor for the Central New York Clean Energy Hub, a new initiative of the Central New York Regional Planning and Development Board (CNY RPDB) that expands and streamlines the delivery of clean energy education and services throughout our 5-county region. The Technical Energy Advisor will work under the direction of the Hub Director and report to the CNY RPDB’s Energy Program Manager and will work collaboratively with other Hub and Energy Program staff. The successful candidate will be working out of the CNY RPDB’s main office in Syracuse, NY.
The Technical Energy Advisor will serve as the Hub’s key technical expert, customer project manager and liaison with clean energy business partners including HVAC installers, weatherization contractors and solar developers. The Technical Energy Advisor will serve as an independent resource for property owners, renters, contractors, and other key stakeholders interested in energy projects. The Technical Energy Advisor will ensure that Hub marketing materials are accurate in terms of technological specifications and available incentives. Specific duties and responsibilities include:
• Coordinate with Hub team colleagues, including community outreach staff, to assist in developing and ensuring a smooth referral process to connect clients who express interest in weatherization, heat pumps, solar or other clean energy opportunities to state and utility energy programs, to qualified installers and businesses (trade allies) and to other community partners that aid with home improvements and energy affordability.
• Developing Requests for Proposals (RFPs) and Memorandums of Understanding (MOUs) with trade allies and installers for customer referrals.
• Maintaining technical proficiency when consulting with prospective customers regarding participation.
• Staffing the Hub hotline to answer technical questions about efficiency and clean energy opportunities.
• Track data and communicate frequently with clients about their program application status and assist with completion of document requirements.
• Keeping informed and maintaining a database of available energy assistance and incentive programs including current program status and program revisions for customers and other Hub staff.
• Educating Hub staff about efficiency and clean energy technologies.
• Support the Hub Director to build mutually beneficial relationships with community partners, industry organizations, trades, and trade allies.
• Developing referral relationships with other agencies that can assist clients with housing and other related assistance programs.• Communicate program implementation status to Hub colleagues and external partners.
• Developing educational materials and participating in community meetings and presentations about efficiency and clean energy technologies.
Desired Skills and Experience
The Technical Energy Advisor will combine technical expertise and customer service skills to help clients and advise them on their decisions.
• Bachelor's degree in engineering, architecture, construction management or closely related technical field. Professional certification (i.e., Certified Energy Manager, Building Performance Institute, etc.) or membership (i.e., ASHRAE, NATE, NABCEP, IGSHPA, etc.) or three years of field experience related to the building or energy industry is highly desirable and can be substituted for a higher education degree.
• The ability to communicate effectively and coordinate with internal team members and external clients and partners.
• Must be detail-oriented and be able to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
• Strong customer service skills that include highly effective communication in-person, over email, and over the phone.
• Ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with program participants and partners.
• Experience utilizing a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system or a similar system to effectively track pipeline, outreach, and business development activities.
• Outgoing, positive, and professional with experience and comfort with public speaking, direct outreach, and networking.
• Awareness and familiarity with New York energy efficiency programs and/or experience working in the clean energy field such as solar PV installer, weatherization contractor or HVAC contractor.
• Ability and license to operate a motor vehicle, clean driving record, and a reliable vehicle.