Marketing and Communications Manager (Public Information Manager)
The ideal candidate will have a strategic outlook to align customer experience with organization objectives, a data-driven mindset to measure and track improvements, expertise in communication and storytelling to explain complex ideas and courses of action, and a robust background in writing, community relations, marketing campaigns, and project management. Complex energy issues need to be communicated to the public. This position will utilize strong industry experience to develop specialized marketing and behavior change campaigns, focus groups, and other community relations efforts to effectively serve all customers and improve service to traditionally marginalized communities.Position Duties Typical duties of this position may include, but are not limited to:
- Develop and execute internal and external communication plans for SJCE.
- Manage and develop communications strategies for SJCE senior leadership and ensures the alignment of communication plans and messaging with City goals and objectives.
- Build and manage strategic communication channels to reach diverse customer segments and stakeholders, including websites, digital newsletters, social media, blogs, email, and direct mail.
- Optimize marketing to drive customer participation in products, programs, and services to decarbonize and achieve ambitious renewable energy and climate action goals.
- Analyze customer journeys to streamline processes, increase customer satisfaction, and build consensus among community advocates toward a clean energy future.
- Write and edit internal and external communications, including press releases for media outlet distribution and op-eds.
- Direct SJCE contact with the media proactively and reactively to respond to requests for information from media outlets and other stakeholders and raise awareness of SJCE affordability and customer programs.
- Maintain and uphold the department’s public relations, including collateral, logo, and brand materials.
- Manage and coordinate outside consultants retained to provide services such as website services, graphics, writing, advertising, and other related work, and is also responsible for communications and outreach-related budget preparation and tracking.
- Oversee communication compliance with regulatory requirements, including customer notifications.
- Support the department’s legislative policy campaigns.
- Contribute to City Council memos and presentations.
- Supervise, coach, and mentor a team of communication professionals.
- Coordinate with the City’s Emergency Operations Center when needed.
- Other projects and assignments as assigned.
Six (6) years of increasingly responsible journalism, mass media communications, public relations or public information experience, including three (3) years of supervisory experience.
Valid California Driver’s License may be required.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
- Job Expertise – Demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices, Citywide and departmental procedures/policies, and federal and state rules and regulations.
- Collaboration - Develops networks and builds alliances; engages in cross-functional activities.
- Fiscal Management - Understands the relationship of the budget and resources to the strategic plan; complies with administrative controls over funds, contracts, and procurements.
- Leadership - Leads by example; demonstrates high ethical standards; remains visible and approachable and interacts regularly; promotes a cooperative work environment, allowing others to learn from mistakes; provides motivational support and direction.
- Planning - Acts to align own unit's goals with the organization's strategic direction; defines tasks and milestones to achieve objectives while ensuring the optimal use of resources to meet those objectives.
- Political Skills - In taking action, demonstrates an understanding and consideration of how it will impact stakeholders and affected areas in the organization.
- Project Management - Ensures project support and implements agency goals and strategic objectives.
- Vision/Strategic Thinking - Supports, promotes, and ensures alignment with the organization’s vision and values; understands how an organization must change in light of internal and external trends and influences; builds a shared vision with others and influences others to translate vision to action
-Communication Skills– Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts and facts clearly, orally and in writing; demonstrates effective use of listening skills and displays openness to other people’s ideas and thoughts.
Per the City’s COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination Policy, the City requires all new hires to provide proof of vaccination as a condition of employment absent an approved medical or religious exemption. Fully vaccinated means a person has received the following:
- Two doses of the monovalent Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine; or
- Two doses of the monovalent Moderna COVID-19 vaccine; or
- Two doses of the Novavax COVID-19 vaccine; or
- One dose of the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine; or
- One dose of the bivalent Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine; or
- One dose of the bivalent Moderna COVID-19 vaccine.
Please note that applications are currently not accepted through CalOpps or any other third party job board application system.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
Please allow adequate time to complete the application and submit before the deadline or the system may not save your application. If your online application was successfully submitted, you will receive an automatic confirmation email to the email address you provided. IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE THE CONFIRMATION, please email CityCareers@sanjoseca.gov and we will research the status of your application.
BenefitsThe City of San Jose offers a wide range of core health benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision, Employee Assistance Program, Life Insurance, Disability, and Savings Plans. Please visit the City's benefits page for detailed information on coverage, cost, and dependent coverage.
For information on the City’s Retirement Plan(pension for full-time employees), please visit the Office of Retirement Services website. You will be able to view information based on different Sworn/Federated job classification.
In additional to the benefits above, there is an additional perks site to explore further benefits of working for the City of San Jose like paid leave, educational reimbursements, and holiday pay are specific to the job classification and union membership.