Project Manager, New York State Affairs
The Project Manager for New York State Affairs reports to the New York State Director and is responsible for the implementation of effective policy and advocacy strategies that support EDF’s program efforts in NY. The project manager’s responsibilities may also include managing consultants/lobbyists, identifying internal and external synergies and conflicts, coordinating with partner organizations, and relationship development with influential decision makers. The project manager will work closely with the New York State Director, program staff, and core consultants that round out the NY-based policy and advocacy team. This is a 2 year fixed term role.
Hybrid work arrangement in EDF's NYC office, 2-3 days a week. Must be able to travel to Albany and across the five boroughs on a regular basis as well as occasional travel to other NYS locations.
- In consultation with the New York State Director, help design and implement strategies for effective state policy engagement in New York State and New York City.
- Lead collaborative efforts across EDF programs, departments, and the national political team to deliver effective advocacy in support of program efforts in NY.
- Embed with EDF program teams to shape advocacy goals and strategies through synthesis of issue research, policy analysis, and political perspective and prepare materials in furtherance of EDF’s advocacy agenda, strategic communications efforts, and other purposes.
- Lead key elements of EDF’s policy and advocacy strategy in New York State and New York City, including serving as deputy lead for EDF’s consultant lobbying team.
- Develop and manage the execution of strategic communications plans, in partnership with Marketing and Communications staff and NY-based consultant(s).
- Develop workplans for teams and project groups, including managing consultants, to ensure accountability for deliverables and critical tasks.
- Coordinate, attend, participate, and represent EDF in meetings with policymakers, advocacy coalition partners, and other various external stakeholders.
- Participate in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- At least four years of professional experience with a bachelors degree, or advanced degree with at least two years of experience
- Demonstrated leadership potential and experience managing small teams and workgroups
- Strong preference for previous advocacy and/or political campaign experience
- Detail oriented, organized, self-starter, able to adapt to frequent change and prioritize effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Creativity, energy, and the ability to multi-task and get work done under pressure
- Ability and willingness to work as a strong team player, while at the same time able to work independently,
- Ability and willingness to travel to Albany and across the five boroughs on a regular basis as well as occasional travel to other NYS locations
- Strong written and oral communications skills
- Adaptable and flexile while working with a diverse team from varied backgrounds
- Good judgement, initiative, and ability to anticipate problems and follow through with confidence
- Commitment to Environmental Defense Fund's mission of protecting public health and the environment
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
Please include a Cover Letter with your application. Writing samples may be requested.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization. We take into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Please note that pay ranges are country specific. As a result, the stated currency is not meant be converted into any other currency.
Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 1,000 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.