Senior Power Resources Specialist - Risk Management and Contracts Administration
Our diverse and inclusive workforce of more than 7,000 employees play a key role in the success of San José, the heart of the Silicon Valley. All City of San José employees work together as one team to make San José a vibrant, innovative, and desirable place to live and work. Visit here to learn more about San José.
About the Department
The City of San José Energy Department is seeking to fill one (1) full-time Senior Power Resources Specialist position to support the Risk Management and Contracts Administration Division. This position is part of an exciting fast-paced team responsible for mitigating risks and optimizing performance of a power portfolio comprised of hundreds of Megawatts of renewable energy projects.
The selected candidate will have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Develop and maintain risk models/ tools to quantify and propose optimal risk mitigation strategies for individual transactions as well as portfolio level and monitor risks associated with procurement strategies.
- Design, perform and interpret analysis to assess, challenge and validate hedging strategies.
- Design, calculate and validate various risk and exposure metrics: Value at risk, gross margin at risk, market volatility, etc.
- Develop key risk indicators and support their deployment in risk monitoring and oversight processes.
- Analyze electric load and consumption to improve load forecasting.
- Design, perform and review analysis to assess risks associated with SJCE business practices, strategic initiatives and new deals.
- Analyze the operating impacts of new renewable energy projects such as congestion risk.
- Analyze performance of hedge effectiveness/ trading strategies and provide insights.
- Compile reports, summaries, and presentations containing strategic recommendations and solutions to aid management in decision-making.
- Perform scenario analysis and stress tests to explain the movements in the power supply portfolio and profit and loss.
- Support cross team initiatives such as new asset integration and implementation of new strategies. Collaborate with other SJCE teams on analytical and reporting requests.
The ideal candidate is a highly motivated, innovative, and creative individual with excellent analytical, critical thinking and problem-solving capabilities. The candidate should have good judgment, show initiative, and be able to work independently. Candidates that are highly collaborative with colleagues and outside stakeholders are ideal. Knowledge and understanding of US power and gas markets, energy hedging products and its risks is preferred.Minimum Qualifications
A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in Business, Economics, Engineering, Environmental Studies, Law, Natural Resources, Statistics, or related field to utility business.
Three (3) years of experience in energy resources operations, planning, purchasing, scheduling, or contract negotiations.
Possession of a valid State of California driver’s license may be required.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
- Job Expertise – Demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices, Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations, including but not limited to: energy management, which may include experience with: Electric Utilities, Electricity Generators or suppliers, California Independent System Operator (CAISO), California Public Utilities Commission, California Energy Commission, contract experience in power purchase agreements and/or the Edison Electric Institute agreement, and short-term Western Systems Power Pool (WSSP) transactions, knowledge of CAISO scheduling and settlements operations, knowledge of renewable, green-house gas-free and conventional electricity supplies and market knowledge.
- Analytical Thinking – Approaches a problem or situation by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach.
- Collaboration – Develops networks and builds alliances; engages in cross-functional activities.
- Communication Skills – Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts and facts clearly, orally and in writing; demonstrates effective use of listening skills and displays openness to other people's ideas and thoughts.
- Problem Solving - Approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; determines the significance of problem; collects information; uses logic and intuition to arrive at decisions or solutions to problems that achieve the desired outcome.
- Multi-tasking - Can handle multiple projects and responsibilities simultaneously; has handled a wide variety of assignments in past and/or current position(s).
- Vision/Strategic Thinking - Supports, promotes, and ensures alignment with the organization’s vision and Values; understands how an organization must change in light of internal and external trends and influences; builds a shared vision with others and influences others to translate vision to action.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application, resume and answers to the job specific questions. Only those candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to interview.
To be considered for this vacancy, candidates must answer all job specific questions and complete all sections in the on-line application (including education and work experience); otherwise, applications will be deemed incomplete.
E-mail will be the default method of correspondence with applicants. To ensure that you receive timely notifications regarding your application status for this recruitment, please enter a valid e-mail address when submitting your application.
If you have any questions about the duties of this position, the selection or hiring processes, please contact Adrienne Barreto at firstname.lastname@example.org
Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor, represent or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
Per the City’s COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination Policy, the City requires all new hires to provide proof of vaccination as a condition of employment absent an approved medical or religious exemption. Fully vaccinated means a person has received the following:
- Two doses of the monovalent Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine; or
- Two doses of the monovalent Moderna COVID-19 vaccine; or
- Two doses of the Novavax COVID-19 vaccine; or
- One dose of the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine; or
- One dose of the bivalent Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine; or
- One dose of the bivalent Moderna COVID-19 vaccine.
Please note that applications are currently not accepted through CalOpps or any other third party job board application system.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
Please allow adequate time to complete the application and submit before the deadline or the system may not save your application. If your online application was successfully submitted, you will receive an automatic confirmation email to the email address you provided. IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE THE CONFIRMATION, please email CityCareers@sanjoseca.gov and we will research the status of your application.